View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 02:19 PM
dunster
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pdcakm
Originally Posted by dunster
There are other patterns that appear to have curved lines. Kaleidoscopes come to mind. This was one of my first quilts - don't look too closely at the workmanship, but you can see the circles.
love it dunster. so, where did this one come from? may need to have that pattern too. :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
It's an oldie-but-goodie, found in many books, usually under the name kaleidoscope (an older form of kaleidoscope, not the stack-and-whack or OBW). Color placement is the key. The corners are light, and the darks are in different positions in the two blocks that make up the quilt. It looks good as a scrappy quilt. I designed my own borders, based on the kaleidoscope block. The block is in the public domain. I found pictures of quilts using it in Encyclopedia of Classic Quilt Patterns, Big Book of Scrap Quilts, and Color From the Heart. Eleanor Burns and Marti Michell also have books that feature the pattern, and Marti Michell has rulers that can be used. You probably don't need to buy a pattern though. The trick is getting the corners on straight. When I made mine I was pretty new at quilting, and I didn't like that part. I was still in the mode of trying to fix mistakes later on in the process, rather than catching them as they occur. Much harder that way, LOL.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-143306.jpe   attachment-143307.jpe