Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Curves, but all straight lines.... >

Curves, but all straight lines....

Curves, but all straight lines....

Old 12-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pdcakm
Originally Posted by dunster
There are other patterns that appear to have curved lines. Kaleidoscopes come to mind. This was one of my first quilts - don't look too closely at the workmanship, but you can see the circles.
love it dunster. so, where did this one come from? may need to have that pattern too. :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
It's an oldie-but-goodie, found in many books, usually under the name kaleidoscope (an older form of kaleidoscope, not the stack-and-whack or OBW). Color placement is the key. The corners are light, and the darks are in different positions in the two blocks that make up the quilt. It looks good as a scrappy quilt. I designed my own borders, based on the kaleidoscope block. The block is in the public domain. I found pictures of quilts using it in Encyclopedia of Classic Quilt Patterns, Big Book of Scrap Quilts, and Color From the Heart. Eleanor Burns and Marti Michell also have books that feature the pattern, and Marti Michell has rulers that can be used. You probably don't need to buy a pattern though. The trick is getting the corners on straight. When I made mine I was pretty new at quilting, and I didn't like that part. I was still in the mode of trying to fix mistakes later on in the process, rather than catching them as they occur. Much harder that way, LOL.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-143306.jpe   attachment-143307.jpe  
Old 12-14-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Originally Posted by susiequilt
Someone found the book on sale for you and posted here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-82520-1.htm

It was nativetexan and she found the book at big horn quilts.
Just received notice from Big Horn that they canceled my order! Someone got there first!
Happy dance - Amazon has it a lot cheaper! Thanks to all of you who took part in my quest!
That's too bad, kitsie!
:-D :-D :-D :-D
Old 12-15-2010, 12:37 AM

thanks for the info dunster. i could tell it wasn't stack-n-whack but couldn't place it beyond that. back in my early days i was too intimidated to even pay attention to anything that appeared too difficult. now i will try anything once and some things twice. tee-hee.

i too remember the "i'll deal with it later" mode. try not to do that too often now. ha-ha.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:48 PM

I had ordered this book from amazon on the 13th and it arrived today! Just like new condition. Funny but I picked a seller that is only about a half hour from me!
It's an amazing quilt. We will have to have a sew along when we get around to doing it.
You wonder what they think at amazon when there is a run on a certain book. I think there as many listed now as before we all bought but the cheaper ones are gone. It's still a great buy for $4.98.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:29 PM

Well, the service was great as usual, the book is really good and has some very beautiful patterns BUT the one we all like is
88 1/2" x 66"!! I wasn't looking to make a bed quilt!

It would be just a bear to make smaller, so I may just make a section of it. Or if I can adapt it to freezer paper piecing I could maybe reduce the size.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Well, the service was great as usual, the book is really good and has some very beautiful patterns BUT the one we all like is
88 1/2" x 66"!! I wasn't looking to make a bed quilt!

It would be just a bear to make smaller, so I may just make a section of it. Or if I can adapt it to freezer paper piecing I could maybe reduce the size.
sorry to hear that kitsie. hope it works out for you after all the hard work to get the pattern. i am getting concerned that i have not received my book yet. hope it comes tomorrow.

have a merry christmas.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:06 AM

I got my book from Amazon yesterday. It has several quilts that are now on my to do list. Great book! Thanks for finding it.

I made the attached with a variation of kaleidoscope and another block. It looks like it has curves too.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-147513.jpe  
Old 12-24-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
I got my book from Amazon yesterday. It has several quilts that are now on my to do list. Great book! Thanks for finding it.

I made the attached with a variation of kaleidoscope and another block. It looks like it has curves too.
Wow, that is really attractive! Love your colors! Thanks for showing!