Thread: Stash question
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Vanuatu Jill

I have everything from small scraps (smaller than FQ) sorted by color in clear stacking plastic bins, FQ's sorted by color in hanging shoe organizers in a closet, pieces between a FQ and 1-2 yards by color in hanging sweater organizers in the closet, and larger than 3 yards folded (or still on bolts) on plastic coated wire shelving. I have rolls of batting on the top shelves of the shelving, and a a few jumbo zip lock bags with scraps of batting. I do alot of applique, so I never throw a piece larger than about 1 1/2" sq away. I also have my Xmas fabrics and child's prints and Asian prints separated. I LOVE fabric-and LOTS of it-and can't seem to stop buying it. Problem is, I can't resist a good sale-I rarely buy anything less than 50% off. I'm in no hurry! I think my stash is as much a sense of pride for me as any of my quilts! Regarding quantity, I usually buy a yard or two if it is a blender or speciality fabric (like Xmas etc). If it is a really nice print that would do for borders, I buy 3-4 yards, and if it is toward the end of the bolt, I just buy the lot. I found too often I would only get 2 or 3 yards of one and what to use it for a quilt that needed 4 yards! I am still using pieces of fabric I have used in several previous quilts-nothing goes to waste!