Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash question >

Stash question

Stash question

Old 12-18-2010, 07:26 AM

It's definitely an individual thing, but we all have some sort of a stash. It just happenx!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by crafterrn1
Okay so here is my Stash enjoy! Oh and my quilting buddies do shop at my Stash LOL!
Luann
Holy Moly, Luann....I am going to show this to my husband. He wil lnever say I have too much stash again!! :roll:
Old 12-18-2010, 11:46 AM

The original concept of "stash" was left over pieces of fabric. I'm sure that many of us have stashes that are exactly that.... left overs. I've never bought material for that purpose.

I store my stash by colors in plastic bins I bought at a thrift type store. If the piece is less than 4" I put it into another type of box (labeled). I did a "Monet's garden" and a "yin yang w/energy" out of 1.5" (1" finished) squares and as a result I have a lot of unused pieces that size. I put them in a special box (labeled).

When most people start quilting they do bigger pieces, usually blocks, until they feel they have mastered the basics enough to dive into pieces which might use the smaller left overs. About a third of my quilts are artsy fartsy and I find places in them for my stash pieces all the time.

However you decide to build a stash, have fun with it! There is no "right" or "wrong" way to build stashes, or even to most of quilting. But, if you don't enjoy it you won't continue.... so ENJOY!
Old 12-18-2010, 12:45 PM
jme

Originally Posted by kakels
I am addicted to remnants.

Where are you from Buckyfan? I'm from near Green Bay.
I'm addicted to remnants too!! I just can't help myself. I like scrappy looking quilts and I can't really afford to buy yardage most of the time. If I buy yards it usually comes from a resale shop. I also got lucky and inherited my grandma's stash. Needless to say I have quite a bit.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
It took an entire weekend to organize my stash and I'm glad I did it. Now when I do a project I can easily find what I'm looking for and know whether I really do need to buy more fabric or if I have enough. I have mine organized by color . I also have my fat quarters organized by color and in those clear plastic shoe box totes.
I have a special place for anything under a yard and I have all my asian fabrics separated and on one shelf ( they are my favorites). I make it a point to keep it organized now and I love it !! Soooo much easier.
So, how did you organize your stash?
Old 12-20-2010, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by whitediamond00
I love it so much that I started selling it. The nearest place to buy fabric is 40-45 miles away and the nearest quilt shop is 65
miles away. I'm making a lot of money, but its so much fun!! You can find me on ebay whitediamond98. You have to go to community and click twice and then type in my site name.

I'll have a web site up and running February 1: lindaraestreasures.com

Hope you'll look, Linda Rae

Do you live in Shelby County, AL, because if you do, there is a JoAnn's in Homewood that isn't too far from you. Also, there's a Hancock store there. I was in B'ham this weekend and planned to shop there, but went to the new outlet stores in Leeds and got sick and then couldn't go anywhere else. I hated that, too. Just had to come back home with no new fabrics. Bummer!!
Old 12-28-2010, 09:32 AM

I just made two quilts from scraps and with each block a different fabric, you would be surprised how little fabric it takes to make a whole quilt of scraps. Each block had two fabrics that coodinated. With one quilt I had alternating blocks of about a yard and a half worth of fabric, but the other was all scraps. Check out Bonnie Hunter's "Quiltville.com" She has many scrap quilt patterns for free.... Her latest Mystery is called, "Roll, Roll Cotton Boll." The next two Fridays will be the last of the steps. It will not be on for very long. It will go into her next book. The third book, due in early 2011. :-P
Old 12-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

my stash has everything from 1/2" pieces of fabric up to yards and yards...i do not throw away fabric!
if i decide the scraps are multiplying beyond control i box them up and pass them on...
my shelves get anything (fold-able) if they are small scraps, too small to fold then they go into a basket to dig through for applique or little needs.