Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash question >

Stash question

Stash question

Old 12-17-2010, 05:13 PM

I have a little to 5 yrs, just depends on who gave me what, or what was on sale.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:16 PM

I wonder the same thing. I have a friend that converted her doubloe car garage into her sewing room. She has all her fabric in closed containers marked. Christmas, Easter, ST Patrics, pinks, greens, and the list goes on.
It is amazing the yardage and scraps she has.

I guess it depends upon how many years a person has been quilting. Some of us don't have the will power not to buy.

Good luck building your stach.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:32 PM

I used to keep by stash organized by color but have found it easier to organized it by the amount of fabric. I have been trying to use some of my stash and and a lot more selective in buying for the stash. But sometimes those great buys are too good to past up!
Old 12-17-2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by RugosaB
A funny stash story (at least to me)
Over the years I've kept fabric, mostly new, but some pieces from clothes I cut up, usually things I made origianlly but no longer needed(meaninf no longer fit).
So yesterday, we were in the attic, which I haven't been in since 1991, when we added the addition. There was a bag of stash pieces, various sizes, that I honestly did not remember putting there or even having.
So I brought it down to go through it, to see what in the world I decided to keep. It was mainly, it looks like, pieces I picked up at garage sales, and some pieces cut from clothes, as I mentioned.
In the car accident, some of my memories got reshelved, and are lost, but they manage to get put in the right place now and then.
Seems I remember all the pieces, what I made with them, where I wore those items, it was fun going through them reliving history.
I came across a piece of fabric, a red print, cut from a tiered gathered skirt, I remember I wore it with a white peasant type top.
On the FIRST date with my husband (to see Heart and ELO up in Pontiac, Mich)! We've been married 29 1/2 years, and it took us 2 1/2 years to get married after the first date! That's some old fabric. All this stuff seems to be in decent shape, I need to make something special
Your Basenji looks just like the one I had as a child! My aunt and uncle used to raise them.

:thumbup:
Old 12-17-2010, 06:14 PM

I have a 4 door dresser full of fabric. It is sorted by color. They are all folded via this method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkTlaMqRlwo

Also, I have cut all my small pieces into square, and strips using Bonnie Hunter's method:

http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml

Hope this helps keep it all organized. It is great that all if folded over a 6" ruler.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:29 PM

My two sisters and I have always spent a good portion of our quilting time doing it together. Back in the late 60's/70's when it was difficult to find 100% cotton, my younger sister and I went anywhere we could find cotton fabric. We would buy at least 10 yards of something we liked and sometimes to entire bolt because we knew we might never see that fabric again. I could probably still dig out some of those old fabrics from my scrap baskets. Now of course I've fallen in love with the pre-cuts because the variety is so lovely to look at & feel.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:00 PM

Many of us are "SABLE"..,,,Stash accumulated beyond life expectancy....... :-)I sew garments and quilt so my stash is huge.....I have trouble finding good garment fabric in my area so I've sewn out of my stash this fall.....
Old 12-17-2010, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cyn
3 rooms full :)All but one room is all cotton! The other has a mix but this is rather outrageous.
OH! Bless you! I think I am now in second place for abundance of stash ... I don't feel so badly now! LOL <wave>
Old 12-17-2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cyn
3 rooms full :)All but one room is all cotton! The other has a mix but this is rather outrageous.
(cough, sputter choke)
Old 12-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Power Poster

2 cabinets full, one closed full and several buckets full with mostly 1 yard sizes, some more than 1 yard and some fat quarters