View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 01:03 PM
quiltmom04

Originally Posted by catrancher
My husband is an engineer. This is what he said about it:

First of all, your card has to have the RFID chip for this to work, and you can find a symbol on the back of your card that will tell you if it does. I just checked our cards, and none of them have it.

Second, if thieves will do this, the cards will stop being made. If you don't have one now, you probably never will.

Third, if you're like me, your cards are all stacked together in your wallet. The device would get just a mish mash of information and nothing usable.

Fourth, the person has to stand right next to you to get close enough. I never let a stranger stand that close to me, except possibly in a checkout line, when I have my wallet and my cards in my hand.

My take on it? The chance it would happen to you is extremely remote.
I always check snopes.com for the correct info. They said that the RFID cards could potentially have infomation stolen, but there has been no report of that tothis point. Regular cc are not in danger in this way. Also, code grabbers that were mentioned tha "read" the code as you lock your car with the key fob is also very unlikely. They said that car manufacturers make these with a riolling code that changes eveytime you use it, and would make it very unlikely that a criminal with this kind of knowledge to do this would bother with your car.