View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Jo Belmont

Originally Posted by Surfergirl
Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
This is so cute and free! A quilting continuous line freebie..

http://www.quiltmaker.com/articles/H...on_Quilt_Motif
I'm rather new to quilting and would like to know how you transfer a design like this onto a quilt top to machine quilt it.
There are a number of ways, but the one I have found most effective is to print out (or copy) from the original source thereby providing a master hard copy.

From that, determine if you need the design to go larger or smaller for the area on which you wish to quilt it. Recopy accordingly - just one page.

Overlay that page with a piece of Glad Press-n-seal wrap, tacky side down. Trace over the design with a permanent marker (not ball point, nor gel pen, etc. as they both smear and do not ever seem to dry completely).

Smooth the traced Press-n-seal wrap over the area to be quilted and sew through it directly on the lines. Afterward, the Press-n-seal is quite easily pulled off by pulling toward the sewn line. Any little bit that might remain at a tight corner is easily lifted away with tweezers and your design is 100% accurate with no residual lines on the fabric itself.

NOW, SOME CAVEATS: There are a few quilters who won't get near PRESS-N-SEAL because it "gums up their needle." I have indeed had that problem with a regular needle, but have found that "Sewer's Helper" (a silicon-type product that comes in a small bottle similar looking to Fray Check) applied to the needle periodically prevents any build-up. ... HOWEVER, I have discovered even more to my delight that if I use a ball-point needle I have no build-up at all and NEVER have to use anything. I just sew and sew and sew.

I have noticed that after doing yards and yards of this type of work, though, that I start noticing some darkening on my fingertips (from taking off the press-n-seal, I guess), so I wash my hands just to be sure. I've never seen any transference to the fabric, however.

I think you'll like this method, but use a ball-point needle.