Thread: Rice Bags
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2010, 05:40 PM
katesnanna

Originally Posted by duckydo
I have had one for at least 6 years and I do mine no longer that 3 mins, I really don't think they will catch fire or explode.
I have heard of them catching fire, in a hospital, would you believe. I agree with you on the 3 minutes. That's as long as I heat my largest one.
Here in Australia they are referred to as wheat bags. I also have a smaller one with lavender added. I had to buy this for my DGS so he wouldn't take mine.
I recently sewed about 20 Frog shaped ones for the Craft stall my daughter & others were running at my GS school fete. They filled them with rice. Must say I had never heard of this before.
I've never actually made and filled one but have been told that if you ask at the produce store they will guide you on the correct wheat to use.
Having said all this I must say I wouldn't want to do without mine. It was given to me about 12 years ago (after major surgery) and has been used hundreds of times over the years.

P.S. If you are worried about it catching fire stay with it while it is heating.