Old 12-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Teacup

We had a nice day for Christmas, very busy with grandkids ages 2 and 4. We got the 4-year-old a Baby Alive doll that "eats" bananas and talks (and she got a doll quilt!). The doll was a big hit, but after a while GD came to me with the baby, bowl and spoon and said, "Here, you be the mommy." I said I was not the mommy, just the grandma. She was the mommy. She said, "No, YOU be the mommy!" I said, "No, I am the grandma. YOU are the mommy. You have to always be responsible for your choices." The entire family erupted in laughter. I said, well, it's never too early to lay the groundwork.

Another good moment was surprisingly poignant. Our son bought an engagement ring and is popping the question New Year's Eve. (She was with her family out of state today.) I give my son an ornament every year, ususally something totally ridiculous. This year I gave him two overlapped silver hearts. I didn't know if he'd like it. He was so touched when he opened it, and it hit him like a ton of bricks that next Christmas he'd be having his own tree in his own home with his wife. He got a bit teary. I said yes, when I take down the tree this year, his ornaments and stocking will be packed to take with him. Next year he can hang his awful sparkly Los Vegas Elvis ornament on his own tree!

Did you have any good holiday laughs?