Old 12-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Jo Belmont

Originally Posted by Calzo
I scan all of the patterns and store them on my computer as pdf files.
I have a few hundred done like that, but I also have almost 1,500 from my pre-computer stash of patterns. Of course, I will never use all those (though many are used for by my students as they dream about their projects), so I want to hang onto them.

Trouble mostly is if, say on a baby quilt, it ideally meets several criterion: It's got a great color combo; the border is unique; the pattern also has accessories (diaper bag, toy, sleeper, etc.), the block and assembly is easily used in other projects, etc.

At this point, I'm beginning to lean toward a data base and/or spread sheet entry that would facilitate filing all patterns by number for starters. Then, as new patterns come in, I know the very box in which to place them after they're entered.

I also intend to have a book with a thumbnail (from pdf or scan) of each pattern (numerical ordered) that could be reviewed quickly - say a dozen or so per page.

Then the entry could accommodate not only the actual name of the Pattern (as assigned by the pattern-maker), but all other cross-references and additional keyword references as might be needed.

I envision then doing a simple search to find all instances of a given descriptor, going with an output list in numerical order and knowing exactly which box to go to.

I am definitely thinking about the sleeve protectors, however, that so many use. They would nicely accommodate patterns that absolutely refuse to refold well enough to go back into their original package.

Thanks all for your input. I'll work on this for a bit and see if it works. If it does, it will go a long way to giving me more time for quilting besides cleaning up my sewing room.

Happy and Blessed New Year to all ~Jo