View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Sierra

Originally Posted by GrammaNancy
Originally Posted by JanieW
I hope this the right section for this topic.

I've been reading a lot of threads where some of us have been hurt or disappointed by the reaction of some recipients to our home made gifts.

That happened to me a few years ago and I was actually humiliated in front of other people by the reaction to my gift. It was a real wake up call to me that not everyone wants or likes quilted articles . It's not even about not appreciating the work or effort or expense. We like what we like.

I am addicted to quilting/fabric/sewing. I decided not to be bitter about ungrateful people, but to share my skills with those who can benefit. I satisfy my addiction by making quilts for the preemies at our hospital and quilts for the children at the women's shelter. I use my best fabric for these donated quilts. I only ever buy my supplies on sale and I buy with these quilts in mind. The recipients are not fussy, the hospital staff is so grateful whenever I show up.

Don't get me wrong, I also sew for my kids and my grandkids, but they have input into what they are getting so I know they want it and will like it.

So for those of you who have been hurt by less than enthusiastic responses, think about sewing your hearts out for babies or kids or seniors that need it. You'll feel good, trust me.
You are a wonderful lady, you really have a great idea and a generous heart. I have read some of the other talk about not so well received gifts. How sad. We should give our gifts because we want to give, from our heart. What the recipient does with it is not what it is about.
This is Sierra... who gives quilts as "thank yous" and to my grandchildren's church group projects and my grandson's Pacific Boyschoir Academy where my grandson is a scholarship student. But, two of my other grandchildren were deserted by their drug-mama (now adopted by close friends and doing well) and the youngest (4 yrs old) got a quilt from the police and it was so important to her to have that quilt! We moved soon after that and I took a quilt up to a young policeman who was talking to someone, waited respectfully until he was done, and offered him a quilt "for his trunk when he dealt with a child". He just said "ahhh" and an older cop jumped out of the front seat of a nearby cruiser and said "THANK YOU, it will get used.".

Remember the fireman who held the little girl after the Oklahoma City bombing? The child died, but she died after being held by a fireman who held her so tenderly that.... oh sweet Jesus, I'm starting to cry.... My point is, those hard ass cops and firemen and hospital people who have to DO THEIR JOB, choose that particular job because they care about people.

Wow, sorry about this, guess its too close to home. Anyway, think about giving small quilts for children, and even larger quilts to shelters. Those women and children need to know that someone cares.

Sorry I was so wordyl Blame it on the Christmas season. Sierra