View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 05:19 PM
gypsyquilter

thanks for a great thread.

my hubby likes to hunt, that doesn't mean I would necessarily want a mounted deer head on my wall for a christmas gift regardless of his talent to hunt or taxidermy or whatever. I love to quilt, and I know he doesn't necessarily want a (another??) quilt for Christmas. I don't expect that people will "appreciate" my work or even "want" it. Deep down inside I am doing something I love - I don't set expectations on others to "love" my gift or my end product, that would be just setting myself up for disappointment

summed up this year nicely me for me by my adult son:

Me: "Son, seriously, you are going to buy another guitar - how many do you have now, 4? 5? I just don't understand why you'd pay that much money for a guitar and sit in your room and play music all day! this is just crazy"

Son: "Mom, remind me again how many sewing machines you have and how much you paid for them? I just can't understand why you think you need another or why you find it necessary to buy fabric on end for yet more and more quilts - come on now, mom, don't you think that is crazy?"

Peace, I say, do what you love because YOU love it, expect nothing (even appreciation) in return. if you are giving a gift with the expectation of a certain reaction to make YOU feel better, acknowledged, appreciated valued, loved or what ever , it is not truly a GIFT.

quilt on everyone, do what you love, love what you do but don't harbor ill feelings or disappointment if others don't share your interest or passion.

and remember,, it isn't about US, it is about who you are giving a gift to.

thanks, feel better for venting.