Thread: Mock Binding
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Steve

Yeah, because I'm new at it this first piece is going to go to make a pillow, just so that I can familiarize myself with the slipstitch and echoing. Then I plan to do a series of small flowers separately and panel them together. So far I've got the material for four color combinations (including the same scheme I'm working on now). I've stayed away from greens other than the celery color since I plan to sash, border and bind with it. I'd like to find some neat old Hawaiian print material for the backing, hula girls or swaying palms.

The color combos I've picked up so far are the celery and Mineola, red and white, royal purple on aqua blue and a bright fuchsia on yellow. I'd like to figure a couple more so as to have six flowers, but am unsure of others that would go. Maybe a gold and brown and royal blue with something else, bright and bold combinations in other words. What will be a challenge is designing flowers that are sufficiently different from each other and not to tough for my skills. I figure the stitching will improve over the course of the quilt and to save the harder ones for last.

Sounds like a project huh? At least the planning and preparation stages are underway and the applique can be done at work away from the patchworks I'm doing.
:D