Old 01-02-2011, 09:27 PM
garysgal

Originally Posted by Ps 150
Originally Posted by garysgal
Originally Posted by Ps 150
Well, I'm keeping to my resolution to try new techniques. I've just done two blocks of reverse applique. One with traditional hand stitching and one with satin stitch applique. Yay!
sounds good! what is reverse applique? Is it hard?
I thought it would be but it's really not that hard. I found a few tutorials for it but they just confused me. I found a few pics that showed me. What you do is take your background fabric and applique fabric and layer them with the applique fabric on bottom with the right side up and then the background fabric on top of the applique fabric with right side up. Then, pin the applique template to the top of the background fabric (or trace around it). Baste 5/16" around the outside of the template. Then, carefully trim the background fabric, 1/4" away from the INSIDE of the applique tracing, leaving the applique fabric exposed. Clip the curves and then gently turn under and handstich so that the applique is actually in the back. When finished, remove the basting threads.
thank you-you explained that very well. I am going to give it a try. It sounds a little easier than the other way.