Old 11-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Moonpi

I bought my Kenmore a year ago in December, and it's a Janome, with 50 stitches (they count as 100 because it has double needle ability). It was advertised as an all purpose machine for quilting, heirloom sewing, and clothing construction. I got a good sale price, then paid extra for quilting accessories, and came home with under $250 spent, and a gift card they gave me because I had to wait more than 15 minutes in the pickup area.

Be sure to ask if you can get a refund if it goes on sale within 90 days, since Nov-Dec is when the sales run. If you go for a real jazzy machine, like an embroiderer, you may want to ask about free lessons. I imagine with the economy like it is, you can negotiate a lot.

When you compare prices, also compare attachments, as the ones that are included vary with brands and models. As well as the even-feed walking foot already mentioned, a 1/4" foot and ditch quilting foot are desirable. Additional table extenders are nice, but a bit out of my price range, so someone else can vouch for them.

Happy shopping!