Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help choosing a sewing machine for quilting...newbie >

Help choosing a sewing machine for quilting...newbie

Help choosing a sewing machine for quilting...newbie

Old 11-22-2008, 03:18 PM

Just wanted to add my two cents. :) I have both a Kenmore (Sears) and a Janome. I have received better service from the Janome dealer then the Sears machine and a whole lot less service problems with the Janome. Lots of luck in what ever you get your lucky wife. :wink: :wink:
Old 11-23-2008, 12:18 PM

I currently use a Bernina PE140 that I bought new 7 years ago. My previous machine was a Bernina 830, which I purchased in 1976 and kept until 2001. Personally, I think my older machine was the better as this electronic machine doesn't have the power my old one did. However, Bernina is a very good machine, but expensive. Don't buy a cheap machine; you won't be happy if you do a lot of sewing. If you're only interested in quilting and not in doing fancy embroidery, I would suggest that you check out stores that carry good machines (Bernina, Husqvarna, Pfaff, etc.) and ask about older machines that have been traded in. You can often get a good deal, get lessons as well and have somewhere to go for support and maintenance. If you know what you want, check e-Bay. I wouldn't buy a Singer. I grew up with them and loved them when they were made in North America, but the last one I had leaked oil constantly.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:52 PM

Just another vote to buy your machine, new or used, from a reputable dealer. Don't risk internet sales or e-bay sales. Buy the best you can afford. All machines now are made in Japan - except Bernina. Yes, Viking and Pfaff were bought by Singer and and if a dealer tells you otherwise, this is not a reputable one.

Go to a dealer who sells several lines and test drive different machines. I have had many machines and have sewn for over 60 years. Am never so happy as when I hear the purr of my well-tuned machine.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:02 AM

i know i'm a little late on this but all the names people have given you are great an there are a few more there are brother,singer babbylock and a few more they all have good machines out there an do some real good sewing i've had a treadle back a few years ago i wish i would have gotten moved with me when i had to move.but i now have a singer ,an two difrent brother machines anone machine i cant tell you what it is because i need to put a new cord on it but it is older than me an i'm very picky with it .it was given to me by an old boss man he was really cool.but good luck in your hunting an wish you all the luck there are alot of good sells right now an until x-mas :)
Old 11-24-2008, 07:26 AM

Hi,I have always hand pieced and quilted,being rather nervous about buying a machine I took the advice of a friend who had always bought Bernina but was looking for another machine.She did research and found the Brother NX-400. I rather gulped at the price £500, and walked around the store for about half-an-hour until my lovely husband said he would go and buy it whether or not I was there.I can use it without the foot and it threads the needle for me -----and I love it You would have to fight me to remove it from my sewing room.I have learnt to love it ,buy one with a quarter inch foot and a walking foot--look for special offers.I got those and an extention table in the price. You are a lovely man to be looking on your wife's behalf,hope you get what you want. Letty
Old 11-25-2008, 01:32 PM

I have a Janome memory craft 6600 and it rocks! It has a large throat to fit a lot of fabric when making large quilts.