Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help choosing a sewing machine for quilting...newbie >

Help choosing a sewing machine for quilting...newbie

Help choosing a sewing machine for quilting...newbie

Old 11-20-2008, 07:59 AM

Had an Elna endorsed by Eleanor Burns and had nothing but PROBLEMS.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:00 AM

A White manufactured in 1992 is nothing like the cheap models for sale today.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by christina bennett
For sewing blocks,I love my White brand machine. It was bought in 1992.
The sales person told my husband that it was a true basic model that would run and run like a timex. I did not know that these things needed service and in 2005 I had it cleaned and checked. NO PROBLEMS.
I sew every day for a few hours. Trying to sew a straight Line :wink:
It helps my mind to be busy.
This is not a fancy machine with all the bells and whistles ,just a machine that keeps running no matter what I have tried to sew. I am self taught and that can be hard on a machine too.
Good Luck,Find one that makes you feel comfortable,and most sales places offer some help on how it works.
chrissy b
I have a White sewing machine that I acquired in the early seventies with Fram coupons (My father had a service station and coupons were used to obtain household products for our home and my parents' home. We each got a White sewing machine.) This machine has been great. It was my first zig-zagger. It's put away in a closet, but I pulled it out for grandkids or students to work with it. It is a very heavy portable that is all-metal. My serger (bought in '88 is also a White). I would like to upgrade , but it is still doing very well. [I'd really like one of those "self-threaders.]
Old 11-20-2008, 10:40 AM

I have been using the Janome sewing machines. I have two. The one that I would recommend is the Janome Platinum. It runs around $450. It weighs 11#, is very portable to take to classes, etc; it is also a 'work horse'. I also have the 'top of the line' Janome for quilting, but if I need a good 'stand-by' I will use the Platinum. It has numerous stitches to choose from, can lower the feed dogs to 'free-motion' quilting.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:10 PM

hi, I'm new to this. I purchased a husqvarna viking, emerald edition almost a year ago & I love it. it has the needle up/down, a thread cutter & many other features. it does not have a 1/4 inch foot or marking for it which is the only thing i really don't like.
i think one of the main advantages to this machine is ,they offer a trade-in within one year of purchase with the full price you payed for it going toward an upgrade. this is based on the retail value of the up-grade. you can find these dealers located in some joann fabric shops. hope this helps to give you another idea
Old 11-20-2008, 12:37 PM

Well Tom, I have three sewing machines: a #9000 Janome (embroidery and general sewing/quilting - which I use the most); a #3500 Janome (general sewing/quilting which is my travel machine) and a #221 Singer Featherweight (which I've yet to use). I simply love Janome machines. My criteria for a good sewing machine (I am a quilter and quilting instructor) is 1) a drop in bobbin; 2) a "beep" that tells me when I'm runing low on thread in the bobbin' 3) straight and even stitches; 4) add-on parts that are reasonably priced and 5) ease of cleaning since I vacuum and clean my machines on a weekly basis.
The Janome is quiet, dependable and a work horse. I probably sew patchwork or machine applique or foundation paper piecing on a daily basis and in the Janome I've a machine that does all of the above beautifully. My #9000 is almost ten years old and like a Timex it keeps on running.
The two things (and there's only two things) I find annoying about my #9000 is no bobbin thread cutter and its weight (37 lbs.). The bobbin thread cutter was not available on a Janome until the #1100 was produced. I sure would like a bobbin cutter, but not enough to trade in my #9000...and the #1100 weighs even more!
Unfortunately the #9000, #1000 and #1100 are WAY over your price limit, but the #3500, my travel machine might fit the bill. Janome's #6600 is a terrific machine that you might want to look into also. Good luck, Valerie
Old 11-20-2008, 02:37 PM

Tom found a machine at Sears...
but there is a Janome Threadbanger at Allbrands.com with free shipping, no tax for $599, in the event another reader would like to compare.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:10 AM

I own a Viking which cost $1700 five years ago. It is an embroidery machine as well as a sewing machine. It has a number of stitch patterns built in as well.
Knowing what I know now, I would skip the embroidery function, and purchase a simpler machine. I would advise you to look into the Lily or other machines made by Viking.
ALSO........I would buy a machine from a sewing machine DEALER and not a Big Box store. Make sure the dealer SELLS and SERVICES the machines. Then when the machine has problems, you can go back there.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:38 AM

Isn't it wonderful that there are so many different sewing machines to appeal to so many different quilters? In her message, brmovingon decried the fact that she purchased a machine with embroidery and I am thrilled that my quilting machine also embroiders...and so is my granddaughter. I have embroidered butterflies, flowers, darling puppies and kittens on her sweatshirts, jackets, pants leg and quilts. Also, now that she is older, I've embroidered female ice skaters, soccer, baseball, volleyball and basketball players for both her and her team mates, changing the hair and skin color as necessary.
I guess different opinions is what makes the world go round...and allows makers of sewing machines to produce so many different models.
But the embroidery feature has been quiet for a few weeks while I finish three quilted Frank Lloyd Wright Art Glass Window wall hangings. It takes time and concentration to sew fabric that is cut 3/4-inch wide, with the largest piece 1-1/4 inch wide. I'm very happy to be quilting my last wall hanging and it will be quite a while before I create another FLW.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:05 PM

My strong suggestion is go to a dealer and let them help you. They probably can suggest one in your price range. They will give you lots of help after purchase with lessons. Getting one from online or box store will not get you help. Ask questions and get the answers.
Nancy in Indiana