Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help choosing a sewing machine for quilting...newbie >

Help choosing a sewing machine for quilting...newbie

Help choosing a sewing machine for quilting...newbie

Old 11-19-2008, 03:57 PM

I learned on an old Kenmore(Janome) and then bought a high end Janome, quilting machine. The features that I love are the walking foot, the Scissors, and the extra height that I can get with the lever. The other major feature with the Janome is the "sure motor" sound. It is made with steel worm gears, that generate a really "Straight" stitch.

The little feather weight machine by Janome is great just to get some quick sewing done. And to take to classes. Have fun and when looking talk with the sales person about who can tune it up, tension, oil, cleaning when it needs it.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:57 PM

In response to the question of what machine I use, I have a Janome 6600. As far as what I like about it is the automatic thread cutter, and needle threader; the large harp area so I can quilt my queen size quilts with little or no problem because of size. I love the lever that lets me lift the presser foot with my knee, more lights and the varity of stitches available. It sews any and all threads I have used with ease. It has the dual feed like the Pfaffs which I use all the time. Compared to the price of Berninas and Pfaffs that I looked at it by far beat their prices and sewed as well if not better imho. I also have a Janome 3500 that I use for travel and it sews as well as the 6600.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:58 PM

I have three machines...an older Elna, which I seldom use; a Viking which I sometimes use, because it seems to lack power; a Pfaff, which is the light of my sewing room..has plenty of power, adjustable needle position, built in walking foot, and a wonderful dealer with a great, fast service department. THAT MEANS A LOT TO ME. The Viking has to be sent to the midwest for service, sometimes taking as long as two weeks. Hope this informaton is helpful. Incidently none of these machines cost over $600 (two were bought during a sale and one was a demonstrator model). I have always purchased a medium priced machine, one that will sew forward an backward, has a couple of decorative stitches, zigzag. These machines will handle alll the quilting I do. I have been at it for 25 years. The less fancy it is the less there is to go wrong with it.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:22 PM

Thank you all so much for your input, experience and expert advice. It has been fascinating to read all of your responses. It gave me a real sense of the love that quilters seem to have for their machines. I suppose they are almost a part of the family in some ways. Wonderful to hear of the 1951 Singers and the older machines that were truly built to last. Let's hope that present day machines can do as well.

For those who don't know, we ended up buying a kenmore that was on sale. So far my wife is very happy with it and is "bonding" as she learns the skills needed. What she has done so far is beautiful and I can only guess what it will look like once it is all together.

Thank you all so much for your help with this. The quilting community here seems to be a friendly and loving place. Many thanks and blessings to all of you who are passing on your stories to others through your quilting.

Tom
Old 11-19-2008, 05:26 PM

Hi, I have two Janomes and I love them both for piecing. I have a Juki TL-98Q that i use for quilting that i also love . It has a nice throat space for quilting up to a throw sized quilt. I have not tried anything larger. Good Luck!! Nadeen
Old 11-19-2008, 05:34 PM

For those who don't know, we ended up buying a kenmore that was on sale. So far my wife is very happy with it and is "bonding" as she learns the skills needed. What she has done so far is beautiful and I can only guess what it will look like once it is all together.
It's awesome when men quilt, but it's awesome too, when men support their quilting wives. Thanks! :D

Old 11-19-2008, 05:47 PM

I am sewing on a Viking #1 which is about 15-16n yearsw old and has done everything I have wanted it to do. My problem will be when it dies, I will be a very sad quilter.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:28 PM

I purchased a Janome 6500 about 3 yrs. ago...when I got serious about quilting. I like it a lot because it is dependable and has some nice features to it..Like the self threader,separate bobbin winder,. and especially the up/down needle button. I do my own free hand quilting so I like the speed control level and thread cutter button...It has a lot of decorative stitches that are very easy to incorporate in my quilts or purses that I make Janome is a very dependable well built machine...Good luck! Kathy
Old 11-19-2008, 06:32 PM

I use either my Necchi Omega or my Singer 7470 to quilt, they are both great for sewing through many layers of fabric. I also have a brother sewing machine but only use that for light sewing.

Sondra
Old 11-19-2008, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana
I'm juming ahead of a response to you....but the machine manufacturers are promoting three different types of quilting stitiches these days.
1.Feather stitch----for crazy patch.
2.Quilt Stitch--Looks like hand stitched...there is a very tiny space between stitches called a hesitation stitch---------
3.Stipple Stitch- A few machines have a stipple stitich, but not many,and the quality is not as good as a little practice by the quilter just doing free motion.
Hope this helps....
Thanks. I am aware of the feather stitch and the stipple stitch, but not the quilt stitch. My machine makes the feather stitch.