Old 01-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Annaquilts
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltnerd
From the other side... I call my MIL by her first name. My SIL calls her "mom", but I can't bring myself to do it. I love Sue dearly and think that she is wonderful, but she isn't my mother!
I appreciate your feedback. When I got married 25 years ago I called my husband's parents mama and papa but they told us they wanted to be called by their first names including by their grand children. It made them feel old.They are not that motherly or fatherly so I guess it fits. Odly enough now 27 years later, they want to be called mother , father and grandpa/grandma but I now feel weird about it after so many years especially since we do not have that kind of relationship. Actually when DH and I got married I was told I was not part as it was not the same. This was just not about me or personal but for anyone their chidlren went with or married. They are very much focussed on themselves and their 4 children above any son or daughters by marriage and even the grand children. It is the way it is and I do not think it is meant to be malice.

I have 14 children,~ 2/3 by adoption and~ 1/3 by birth and they call me mama including some of their friends. So being called mama by none biological children or adults is not unusual to me. I thought that my son's wife to be would call me by my first name as she does with her father's new wife but I am pleasantly surprised to have the mama part with it. I did not realize I would feel different or care but it makes me happy.