Thread: Favorite quilt
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 06:50 AM
nanna-up-north

Of course I will share my applique technique. I call it Jig-saw puzzle applique and it's based on the Carol Armstrong method shown in her book, Wild Birds: Designs for Applique & Quilting.

1. I draw the picture I want to applique twice on freezer paper. I number the pieces in the picture and note how I can layer the pieces. One picture gets cut into individual pieces and the other picture is the model to follow the puzzle.
2. Iron the cut out pieces of freezer paper on the right side of fabric I will use for each piece. Trim each edge that will be tucked under about 1/8 inch from the edge of paper.Leave edges that will be covered with another piece longer.
3. Fold under and fabric glue the edges that will be finished edges. Some of the pieces will overlap others to make the picture.
4. Pin the pieces together and hand stitch with whatever color the top piece will be.

Okay, I'm not perfect explaining without pictures. Is there a way to make an attachment on this site? I'd be happy to make a tutorial and attach it.