View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 03:23 PM
peaceandjoy

LOVE the Bernina's! When I was in a position to buy one, over ten years ago, a large part of my choice was simply the fact that I live near a Bernina shop run by a wonderful Mennonite family. The internet wasn't what it is now, so the ability to compare and shop via this amazing tool didn't really play into my decision.

Here's the REAL post-purchase Bernina story, and why I can't imagine I'd ever change brands. Our older DD's lovely cat, less than 10 lbs., while jumping from the windowsill to the floor went over my machine, which was sitting on a flat table. For whatever reason, his jump was not well executed and he landed on the table, skidding to a stop - but not before KNOCKING MY MACHINE ONTO THE FLOOR!!! The room is carpeted - but over a concrete slab. The machine landed with a crash.

It was early morning & I was on my way to work. I picked it up and walked away; I literally could not look to see what had been done. When I got home I decided I might as well inspect the damage.

There wasn't any. Bernina's are heavy, but they are made of metal (except the case, of course). Within six months or so of this event, I had the opportunity to be in a couple of LQS's, one that sells Pfaff and one that sells Janome, and also do repairs. In relaying this story to them, both said there is no way their machines would have survived - they are mostly plastic. One of them actually had a machine come in that had been dropped a few feet (I don't remember which brand it was); it was unsalvageable.

While I'm fairly sure I'll stick w/ the Bernina, I do lust over the newer ones with BSR. I don't see that happening for me though. Besides, we have several great longarm folks locally - and it's good for the economy if I send my tops to them to be done, right?