Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for new machine >

looking for new machine

looking for new machine

Old 11-08-2008, 11:28 AM

I am looking for a new machine that i can quilt with... I have checked on several and want to see the new Bernina 830 that is to be available Nov. 17,2008....Has anyone any suggestions( for or against). Any experience with other Bernina machines.... :roll: Granny 8
Old 11-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Banned

I have two singers that work just fine for quilting. Perhaps a vintage singer, 20+ yrs old? Mine a 8606 is hard to thread but is awesome.
Stay away from brother.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:48 AM

I'm not familiar w/the Berninas other then just looking them over before. I did search for you and here are some opinions. Don't know if this helps you or not, but, you can go to: http://forums.marthapullen.com/read....28012&t=228012

go to: http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg00495.html

Here's a sewing machine reviewer at: http://www.sewingmachinereviewer.com/bernina-830.html (great site if you want to look up your machine here too)

There are many more out there. I searched 'opinions of the Bernina 830' and that is how I found the above sites. Keep us posted on your homework. What did I learn??That first site is one to go back and check out:))Skeat who hasand loves the Janome 6600...the 10,000 is the embrod. machine in that line
Old 11-08-2008, 12:18 PM

I have a Bernina 630e and I love my machine. I bought it used on E-bay about 19 mos ago. Sometimes I wish that I could have gotten a 730e with the 9 mm stitch but have been told by lots that if I do mostly quilting that the 630 is better. (this is because it is easier to do a 1/4 in seam on the regular size feed dogs) I have not checked out the new 830. I don't want to start drooling over something that I can't have. There is no way DH will let me get another machine. Though, he says in a couple of years we can think about a mid-arm quilter.....

Anyway, I am still learning to use my Embroidery Unit and the software. So far I have only used it to make quilt labels.

I looked at a Janome 6600P but decided I wanted my machine to do more. Hope you have fun researching machines.!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 12:34 PM

Thanks so much for your input...glad to hear you are happy with your bernina.. am glad i came here for some experienced comments. Thanks again....
Old 11-08-2008, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the research you just did for me...I will check each of the sites out. Will let you all know later.....thanks again
Old 11-08-2008, 12:39 PM

i also have a Singer and wouldn't put it away for anything....But i want a machine that i can do some other things with especially quilting. I think i have the fever bad..I think it would take me too long to finish a quilt by hand i tend to want things done yesterday......thanks again....
Old 11-08-2008, 12:42 PM

I love love love my Bernina. My first one (1090) I gave to my daughter when I upgraded to the 440. I wanted the stitch regulator. I haven't used it as much as I thought I would but I haven't taken the time to practice either. I think I have been spending too much time on the computer.

I have a Janome embroidery machine so I didn't want that feature in my Bernina. I am very glad I have 2 separate machines for the different tasks because I will set the embroidery machine off then quilt on my Bernina while it runs.

I am so glad we spent the money. It is well worth the quality. I love the needle threader, needle down, knee lifter all the stitches. I just love it.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Banned

Janome all the way! all the models work exquisitely and offer many different options and price ranges. I have an 8 yr old 4800 that has never failed me.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:56 PM

One of the most important things for me when I got a new machine a year or so ago was the extra throat space so I could machine quilt. I have the Janome 6600 and it has 9 1/2 inches of throat space and I love it. I took a class on FMQ yesterday and used the feature of not using the pedal and it made a huge diffence in my FMQ stitches as it was one less thing I had to worry about and control.

I guess you need to decide how much you can spend and what features you would like in a machine and then narrow it down from there. I looked (just now) at the Bernina you mentioned and could not tell how big the throat space is and for quilting that is really important to me but may not be to you! I hope you find exactly what you want, happy shopping. :-)