Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for new machine >

looking for new machine

looking for new machine

Old 11-13-2008, 03:23 PM

LOVE the Bernina's! When I was in a position to buy one, over ten years ago, a large part of my choice was simply the fact that I live near a Bernina shop run by a wonderful Mennonite family. The internet wasn't what it is now, so the ability to compare and shop via this amazing tool didn't really play into my decision.

Here's the REAL post-purchase Bernina story, and why I can't imagine I'd ever change brands. Our older DD's lovely cat, less than 10 lbs., while jumping from the windowsill to the floor went over my machine, which was sitting on a flat table. For whatever reason, his jump was not well executed and he landed on the table, skidding to a stop - but not before KNOCKING MY MACHINE ONTO THE FLOOR!!! The room is carpeted - but over a concrete slab. The machine landed with a crash.

It was early morning & I was on my way to work. I picked it up and walked away; I literally could not look to see what had been done. When I got home I decided I might as well inspect the damage.

There wasn't any. Bernina's are heavy, but they are made of metal (except the case, of course). Within six months or so of this event, I had the opportunity to be in a couple of LQS's, one that sells Pfaff and one that sells Janome, and also do repairs. In relaying this story to them, both said there is no way their machines would have survived - they are mostly plastic. One of them actually had a machine come in that had been dropped a few feet (I don't remember which brand it was); it was unsalvageable.

While I'm fairly sure I'll stick w/ the Bernina, I do lust over the newer ones with BSR. I don't see that happening for me though. Besides, we have several great longarm folks locally - and it's good for the economy if I send my tops to them to be done, right?
Old 11-14-2008, 03:19 PM

Hi there. Normally I am one of those people that just read and enjoy everyone else pictures.But I did have to put my 3cents worth in(inflation)
I saw someone say to stay away from Brothers. If you are talking about the bottom end ones sold in wally world I would say yes. But I have a QC 1000 and I love it. I was visiting my brother last Thanksgiving in VA and stopped in a sewing machine store. Checked out the QC1000 and loved it. I got a really good deal because they were running a special. The machine, a wheeled tote, and a serger for just over 2 grand. That was way at the very top of my budget but I had just come into a little money and was determined to treat myself. I have had NO trouble with this machine what so ever and use it almost everyday. However what ever machine you buy make sure there is a dealer near you. I have no Brother dealers near me and I can't drive too far. The nearest one is about an hour away and smack in the middle of the city of Atlanta.
A friend of mine in TX also bought one and is also pleased with hers.
I would love to have a Bernina but there is no way I can afford one that does all the things my Brother can do.
So I guess the bottom line is check out the machines YOU can afford. Try out the demo's the way you would be using them. And buy the one YOU fall in love with.