Old 01-07-2011, 06:27 AM
TootieAnn

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
Has anyone ever used a dark colored thread to quilt a quilt using white backing? Is this even done? One of my quilting girls told me her mama told her to always use thread the color of the backing. Well, the top I'm quilting is the one on my avatar. Deep purple. And, my backing is white. What do you think? Should I use purple thread or white to quilt it?
I would use the purple. I have quilted my last two projects ( a tree skirt and a quilt) with variegated thread. I was really happy with the results. If you have some scraps, you might just try a few test runs and see what you like best. You might even use white in the bobbin and purple on top. Let us know what you decide. The quilt in your avatar is beautiful! Sorry! I just read the post that said you were hand quilting! I like to hand quilt with white thread. I think it is just more traditional since at one time all most ladies had was white, gray, or black thread. I think you should use the one that you like best. And I think the purple would look great! As another lady posted, it's the quilt top you see! I wouldn't worry about the back. And besides purple and white look great together anyway!