Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using colored thread to quilt on white backing? >

Using colored thread to quilt on white backing?

Using colored thread to quilt on white backing?

Old 01-09-2011, 03:03 PM

Be brave! The purple will show up on the back, but that's okay! It will really highlight your quilting! Celebrate! Live a little! It's going to be great!
Old 01-09-2011, 03:19 PM

I am a handquilter and I use whatever I want. I like varigated thread. I don't mind if the back thread shows. It helps me to see if I missed anything. I am currently quilting a raffle quilt for our Linus Chapter. The top is a star pattern with yellow and blue prints and solids. I am quilting it in blue. The back is a yellow on yellow dot. The blue quilting looks great on the back. The hardest part is marking a quilt top so that I can see the quilting pattern when I am working.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

Oh duh! by hand. go ahead with the color thread or your choice. it will be fine. much better than machine quilting. we always get some mess on the back, small or large, when machine quilting. No worries :thumbup:
Old 01-10-2011, 05:41 AM

I have used colored thread to hand quilt ( all I do ).
My stistches are not perfected & it is OK. I like the way the design shows up on the back. Purple will be really beautiful !!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Banned

Using dark thread on a white backing just means being a little more careful with your stitches, stops and starts. That applies to hand- and machine-quilting. I love the look of a contrasting thread. Have you thought of using a variegated thread?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-157154.jpe   attachment-157155.jpe  
Old 01-10-2011, 01:55 PM

I think this quilt will be beautiful on both sides. I like the whole cloth look on the back. But by all means don't use variegated thread. I did that on a plain colored back and it looks awful. The thread I mean. It matched the top really well. I wish I had not used it.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
Originally Posted by Jan in VA
I almost always hand quilt with a color to compliment the top and show on the back. I feel it gives me two quilts for the effort of one that way....sort of makes it "whole cloth" looking on the back, you know? Why shouldn't a quilt have two sides?!

Jan in VA
I'm with Jan as I'm a hand quilter also!!!
I hand quilt and I always match the top. Besides, I think the white back with the purple design would look good! It would your purple version of the red- work designs.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
Has anyone ever used a dark colored thread to quilt a quilt using white backing? Is this even done? One of my quilting girls told me her mama told her to always use thread the color of the backing. Well, the top I'm quilting is the one on my avatar. Deep purple. And, my backing is white. What do you think? Should I use purple thread or white to quilt it?
what about using cream on both top and bottom. the colors blend in well on the purple and not so bad on the back. Unless you use the same type of cotton thread you may end up with spots or uneven sewing on the back. Try it out first on scrap of sandwiched block.