Old 01-08-2011, 06:38 AM
quiltmom04

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
I want to put a narrow strip around the quilt before I add the larger border. So far it measures 49" x 41" and I used 5" charm squares (so the squares are now 4.5"). How wide should I make this inner border? And the outer border - I was thinking of making it the same width as a charm - sound ok?

Also, I was thinking of finishing it like another quilt I saw - not stitch in the ditch, but stitching just a bit next to the seams on either side. (So each square would be outlined in stitching). Would I need to use a walking foot for this? I have a generic one but I have no idea if it actually works or even how to use it. :oops:
I would make the inner border about2" - 1 1/2" finished and make the outer border a bit larger than the blocks, say 6". It looks more interesting to have the measurements varied, just like it looks more interesting to have pattern size varied. And yes, a walking foot will make your stitching more even. If you have lost the directions for your foot, you can either look online, or your LQS should be able to help you.