Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How wide to make the inner border? And ? about the finishing...

I want to put a narrow strip around the quilt before I add the larger border. So far it measures 49" x 41" and I used 5" charm squares (so the squares are now 4.5"). How wide should I make this inner border? And the outer border - I was thinking of making it the same width as a charm - sound ok?

Also, I was thinking of finishing it like another quilt I saw - not stitch in the ditch, but stitching just a bit next to the seams on either side. (So each square would be outlined in stitching). Would I need to use a walking foot for this? I have a generic one but I have no idea if it actually works or even how to use it. :oops:

I usually do a 2.5 inch strip. After being sewed it is 2 inches.

QM
    Quote Originally Posted by mmonohon
    I usually do a 2.5 inch strip. After being sewed it is 2 inches.
    That would work. I like 1 or 1.5" (cut 1.5 or 2) for the inner border. I like the idea of the outer border being the same as the charm squares.

Blog Entries
    I was thinking 1 1/2" or 2" as well for your inner border. If you are going to do a 4 1/2" outer border,I don't think I would want a finished inner border of any more than 2. Can't wait to see some pics of your quilt! I'm sure it will be great!

Blog Entries
    I just made a small lap size top and used a 1" inner border with a 4" outer border.

I am agreeing with the rest.

Blog Entries
    Depending on the pattern of the quilt, I do anywhere from 1"-2 1/2". I like 1" or 1 1/2", but if I wanted the finsihed quilt a little larger I would make my borders larger.

Ok good - I'll play with 1 to 1.5 and see which looks better. :)

How about the quilting part of it - do I need to figure out if the walking foot I have works or should I just try my regular foot? And does stitching next to the seams sound ok?

I'm so excited that I'm actually finishing a quilt! lol!

It is your personal preference. I have used many different widths. Kind of depends on how much bigger I want the quilt and go from there!!

Try your walking foot on a practice swatch and make sure it works properly. You'll be able to tell by the fact that there won't be a pleat of extra fabric when you get to the end of a seam. :)

If you have to use a regular presser foot, try to use one that has the least amount of surface area touching the feed dogs. A vintage quilting foot is ideal - it's a very short foot. Then, adjust the pressure on the presser foot so that if you have your stitch length set to 10-12 stitches per inch, you get 10-12 stitches per inch on your quilt, and then ease off of that pressure very slightly. This helps keep the top from stretching quite so much.

Banned
    it depends on what width will balance. A 2" sounds about right for me

And yes, a walking foot will give you better results.

do you have a pic of the top so far? I would also go with a 2" finished inner boarder and then a 4 1/2" finished outer boarder. but it really does depend on that the top actually looks like. let it speak to you and go with your gut.

IMO I would use a 1-1.5 inch border. I find that a narrower border will set off the design of the quilt better.

Walking foot definitely. You will not be happy with regular foot as it will push the top fabric. You will get puckers. It is well worth investment to get a good walking foot. Generic can work just as well as long as it "walks".

just make sure that the walking foot also doesn't cut the fabric like a serger. I had one given to me and it was actually a presser foot that would cut the fabric as it sewed. and I couldn't do anything with it other than a zig zag stitch.

I'm about to quilt my first wall hanging, so this is a good thread for me, too. So the areas where I'm going to stitch in the ditch, I need to definitely use my walking foot, then for the free motion stuff, just go back to the free motion foot? I have a clear foot to use for that.For stitching in the ditch, should I still start in the center and work out?

Blog Entries
    I cut my 'frame' at 1 1/2 inches so it ends up one inch. The five inch for the outer sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by petpainter
    I'm about to quilt my first wall hanging, so this is a good thread for me, too. So the areas where I'm going to stitch in the ditch, I need to definitely use my walking foot, then for the free motion stuff, just go back to the free motion foot? I have a clear foot to use for that.For stitching in the ditch, should I still start in the center and work out?
    I always work from the center out. I just got a walking foot and darning foot(FMQ foot). With stitching in the ditch it just depends on the pattern. But yes starting in the "center" is always a good idea. It just depends on the pattern. if it is something like squares and you are just going lines in a cross hatch pattern then I would pick a side and start in the middle of the quilt on that side and go from there. if there is blocks in involved I would stitch the center block down and go from there. but it just depends on what the top looks like. hope this is clear as mud for you.

I wish I could sit in a room with all of you! :)

tmg
    It depends on the look you want. Just remember their is NO QUILT POLICE. So just have fun with it.

I would probably go with an inch finished (cut 1 1/2") or an inch and a half finished (cut 2") Then probably a 4" - 6" outer border.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalmama
    I want to put a narrow strip around the quilt before I add the larger border. So far it measures 49" x 41" and I used 5" charm squares (so the squares are now 4.5"). How wide should I make this inner border? And the outer border - I was thinking of making it the same width as a charm - sound ok?

Also, I was thinking of finishing it like another quilt I saw - not stitch in the ditch, but stitching just a bit next to the seams on either side. (So each square would be outlined in stitching). Would I need to use a walking foot for this? I have a generic one but I have no idea if it actually works or even how to use it. :oops:
    I would make the inner border about2" - 1 1/2" finished and make the outer border a bit larger than the blocks, say 6". It looks more interesting to have the measurements varied, just like it looks more interesting to have pattern size varied. And yes, a walking foot will make your stitching more even. If you have lost the directions for your foot, you can either look online, or your LQS should be able to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalmama
    I wish I could sit in a room with all of you! :)
    Me too! :-D

Another idea for quilting would be to sew diagonally from corner to corner making x's through the squares. You can start at one corner of the quilt and sew to the other end. You'll be able to quilt with fewer starts and stops. On some it even gives a look of lots of smaller triangles in the piecing. I don't have a walking foot and have had good luck, but the two I did had a backing with a lot of body in it and very little stretch.

For doing straight quilting a walking foot will help the fabric feed evenly. Otherwise it will pucker! Yes, start from the center and work out for best results. My last quilt was a king size and I did borders in 1", 3" and 6" to make it the size I wanted. The gradual increase looked great. Then the binding was 2.5" before sewing on and folding over. I think it finishes to about 1/2 to 3/4 when done. Have fun and post a picture of your finished quilt!!

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    it depends on what width will balance. A 2" sounds about right for me

And yes, a walking foot will give you better results.
    I don't like to go any narrower than a 2 inch inner border, not all that confident in my skills, and I feel the narrower it is, the more obvious my crooked stitching will be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast