View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 06:57 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Airwick156
Whats the big deal, I don't understand, especially when you are paying for the merchandise up front.

Its sad really. Alot of companies are going to lose out on alot of money by not delivering to a PO Box. :(
The big deal is that if it's undeliverable, the package may be returned to the seller, or lost in the process.

Both of which cost the seller/vendor money and time. Because if they have to ship it out again with a correct address, they havemight have to eat the postage of the first shipment. And if the package gets lost, you're going to call and complain to your credit card company, and then the entire amount will credited back to your account - and now the vendor is out the postage AND the cost of the goods.

I think out in the more rural areas of the US the post office accepts both UPS and FedEx packages. They DO NOT do it more densely populated areas. I know many eBay sellers will not ship to POBoxes.

I know FedEx has my physical address on file in case something gets shipped by error to my PO address. They can now correct it while it's getting sorted on the trucks. (They called me once with such a package, and it's happened a few times). These packages were from vendors with no mention on their websites that they ONLY ship FedEx/UPS. Otherwise, I would have used the house address.

Back to the OP in Canada:
Do you use a POBox that's right over the border? Is that how it works out for you because it's so convenient to you?
Otherwise, I couldn't imagine it working. Do you know anyone in the same area as your POBox ? Use their address? Or use a Mailbox instead?

I have quilting friends in Israel, Romania and Europe who are always sending their shipments to me, and then I repackage them to ship overseas. Most times they try to take advantage of free shipping offers so it really doesn't cost them anymore. Otherwise, it's still cost effective, especially when you add in what I get for them at Joann's with coupons.