Old 01-08-2011, 11:10 AM
salmonsweet

Heh yes, a lot.... I think so, too!! Kind of leaning towards Mattee's and JG's guess of 50+.

It's half playful (been FMQing and wondering; do you get the FMQ trance? lol). I do want to get a feel for how many quilts it might take me to free up enough space on my shelf to store battings, threads, notions and so on.

So I'm thinking I pulled 21 fabrics from my stash last night and I say well, that's maybe roughly 20 yards. (Some are half-yard cuts, most yards or longer yardage. I didn't measure! Could be 30 or more yards to begin with...)
Looking at the size of the dent that made in the tightly packed fabric in my shelf, I then "count" the remaining shelf size by comparison. So much for the "accuracy" of my guess...

And of course you're right, there's no way of really knowing how much fabric I'll really need for my future quilts - I haven't even designed most of them yet, much less made them! :D But hey, now I know I have a TON of quilt potential sitting right there on my shelf. I also "discovered" a lot of fabrics I can't remember ever having seen before... Even though I bought all of them last year.