View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 11:25 PM
lynmccoy

Originally Posted by kathy
I can't believe nobody's responding, I am very anxious to hear what some do and for how much.
Come on girls (and guys) spill your guts, tell us your secrets.

Inquiring minds want to know!
I started making quilts when I was 12 as a hobby. When I was 18 ,I started making quilts for extra money.It was mostly relatives and friends that bought them and didn't pay me much more than the cost of the supplies.When I got married and had children, I didn't have much time to make many quilts to sell except for 2 or 3 that co-workers bought.2years later came the divorce. I tried marriage again but it didn't work either, but I got another beautiful daughter from it.I started making and selling more quilts because I had children to feed.Twelve years ago I started have a lot of health problems.My doctor ran tests and we found out that I had MS and couldn't work anymore. My children are grown and out of the house by now. They came and helped me rearrange the rooms so that I now have a front quilt shop(former dining room), fabric room(former bedroom), and 2nd fabric room(former bedroom).I make quilts all during the year and then around October I put an ad in our local Bargain Finders and by the middle of December all of my quilts are sold. I sell some during the year,but some of them sell during November and December.Making and selling quilts is a good way to making extra money for anyone.Would it work as a full-time money solution? Probably not,but I'm just speaking from my experience.Someone else may be able to turn it to a year round money solution.