Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making Money Quilting >

Making Money Quilting

Making Money Quilting

Old 01-08-2011, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
I can't believe nobody's responding, I am very anxious to hear what some do and for how much.
Come on girls (and guys) spill your guts, tell us your secrets.

Inquiring minds want to know!
I started making quilts when I was 12 as a hobby. When I was 18 ,I started making quilts for extra money.It was mostly relatives and friends that bought them and didn't pay me much more than the cost of the supplies.When I got married and had children, I didn't have much time to make many quilts to sell except for 2 or 3 that co-workers bought.2years later came the divorce. I tried marriage again but it didn't work either, but I got another beautiful daughter from it.I started making and selling more quilts because I had children to feed.Twelve years ago I started have a lot of health problems.My doctor ran tests and we found out that I had MS and couldn't work anymore. My children are grown and out of the house by now. They came and helped me rearrange the rooms so that I now have a front quilt shop(former dining room), fabric room(former bedroom), and 2nd fabric room(former bedroom).I make quilts all during the year and then around October I put an ad in our local Bargain Finders and by the middle of December all of my quilts are sold. I sell some during the year,but some of them sell during November and December.Making and selling quilts is a good way to making extra money for anyone.Would it work as a full-time money solution? Probably not,but I'm just speaking from my experience.Someone else may be able to turn it to a year round money solution.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:32 AM

Actually this is a topic I had commented on once. See my previous post.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-80448-1.htm
Old 01-09-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Country Quilter
Originally Posted by Cathe
Don't underprice your work. Promote it as GOOD work, and charge accordingly. If they want cheap quilts, they can buy Chinese imports at JCPenney.

I hope that helps!
Cathe ...this is the part I'm not good at...pricing...I know about the hourly rate and cost of materials etc..... but if somebody could just give me an idea...like say...how much for a 15 x 36 tablerunner....a 30 x 30 wallhanging....a 54 x 54 couch throw... just a basic price would work for me....

I made a queen size quilt for a friend of mine....she bought all the materials and picked out a pattern from one of my books.....it took me about 2 weeks to make the quilt and if I may say so myself ..it turned out pretty nice.....I asked her for $100.... she paid it but did say she hadn't intended on spending that much on the quilt (including her cost of materials which I believe was around $80) she wanted it to give as a gift.

Some people just don't understand what goes into the making of quilts I think.
Here are my prices. I hand-quilt so it might be different than the long arm quilter's prices"
king:250.00,queen:200.00,full:175.00,couch:125.00, baby:100.00,wall:75.00,lap:50.00,king/queen sham:30.00 each, quilted 35.00 each.reg sham:25.00each,quilted 30.00 each.

I also make pin cushions for 5.00 each. Some sit on the table,some have elastic and go around your wrist, and some fit on your finger.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:33 AM

I'm a longarm quilter. I keep it simple. 2.5 cents a square inch for edge to edge and 5 cents an inch for custom quilting. The price for custom quilting is too low in my opinion but thankfully I don't get too many of those, they take ten times as long to do and I have to drag out a myriad of tools as well. For binding, which is rare, I charge 25 cents a linear inch, that is machine sewn to the front and hand stitched to the back. My customers know my prices and they either accept them or take their business elsewhere. Another longarmer in town charges 1.9 cents a square inch but it takes her months to get a quilt done and I usually have a 3-5 day turn around.
Remember you time is worth something as well as your skill. Don't sell yourself short, if they could make it themselves they would! Have your prices SET ahead of time, even print them out to hand to your customer so they know you are not just talking off the cuff. This helps you to be more professional also. Hope this helps.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:34 AM

I hand quilt for folks...am just figuring out the fees. The Amish ladies charge per yard of thread. The rate depends on how many stitches per inch. I like a little $$ for fabric,but mainly cause I just love to hand quilt.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:16 AM

I have made and sold made to order t-shirt quilts. I advertise on fb. I have made ten so far. It is not enough to make a constant income but it helps. I charge 150 for lap and twin, 200 for full, 250 for queen and 350 for king. I have my own page on fb. It is called Carmens sew unique quilts.