Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making Money Quilting >

Making Money Quilting

Making Money Quilting

Old 10-01-2007, 09:48 AM

Good afternoon everyone! I enjoy reading all of your posts and learning so much from you.

I finally decided over the weekend that the price of my twin size quilt will be $225. The reason for this decision is the fact that it was hand quilted. if I had of machine quilted it, it would be priced at $175. What do you ladies think? My prices from now on will be according to the quilts being hand or machine quilted. We all know hand quilting takes alot more time.

I started a full size quilt also this weekend and it will be priced according to how I quilt it.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:55 PM

Vanessa
I think that is a good, and fair price,
Old 10-02-2007, 08:44 PM

Vanessa that is a great price! My MIL used to make alot of quilts and hand quilts all of them. She hasn't had time to make any recently. She doesn't normally sell them unless someone offers. She always gives them away. She does excellent work. She made a king size quilt with all 50 states and hand quilted it, a local guy offered her $500 for it.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:27 AM

Good Morning!

Thank you Rebecca and live2teach for your kind words. I feel comfortable with my decision. My husband always says that if someone doesn't want to pay the price, that we are not giving it away and we will just fold it back up and put it back in storage. I do sometimes make a quilt as a gift and will be doing some charity work, but some I do need to sell to help make extra money for whatever I might need it for. Right now that would be to pay taxes. Ha! Ha!

I hope all of you have a wonderful day today!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:27 PM

Good luck on your quilt sales, ladies! Your prices sound very reasonable to me. I did hear from a lady here in Texas that her mother always sells her full size quilts for $350 (hand quilted) no less!

I also have a cousin of a cousin who does very fine, dense hand quilting and gets $1,000 a quilt. So work on your quilting stitches, ladies!

Old 10-05-2007, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by live2teach
Vanessa that is a great price! My MIL used to make alot of quilts and hand quilts all of them. She hasn't had time to make any recently. She doesn't normally sell them unless someone offers. She always gives them away. She does excellent work. She made a king size quilt with all 50 states and hand quilted it, a local guy offered her $500 for it.
I wanted that quilt! :cry: That sucker was big enough for 2 beds! It was gorgeous!
Old 10-08-2007, 07:12 PM

Cathe

Your Daliah quilt is absolutely fabulous!!! Great color combination!!

Do you sell the pattern? (ihope, i hope, i hope!!)???

Best of luck with your site!!

imak
Old 10-08-2007, 08:26 PM

Debbie C, this site seems to have pretty good deals on re-sealable bags.

http://www.polybagsupplies.com/reclosable-poly-bags-c-22.html

Hope it helps.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:16 PM

I am just now delving into selling my quilts; storage space is becoming a critical issue.

Here's what I've come up with so far; cutting-5 hours. piecing-12 hours. Hand-quilting-24 hours. Binding-3 hours. This adds up to 44 hours. Even at minimum wage ($5.85), this adds up to $257.40, without adding cost of supplies, etc.....for a 48"x48" wall quilt. I don't know if this is a reasonable price from a prospective buyer's viewpoint. I suspect not.

All my quilts are original design. I have been an artist (or artisan) for 60 years. I have been sewing for 47 years. I am good at this, to put it bluntly and without false modesty. (before you folks think I'm arrogant..not to worry, I've been slapped down so many times, it's taken me 40 years to work up the guts to say..I am good at this. OK?)

My point is; I think we all have to reach some kind of middle ground between our sense of self-worth and the reality of selling our things.
Lots of factors involved. How badly do you need the money? How much do you think you're worth? What's the market for handmade things in your area? What marketing skills help? Who's likely to give you some good tips? How do you approach people?

Enough long-windedness. A wise friend suggested consignment shops.
So, what kind of shop, boutique, or store are you considering? Do wealthier folks shop there, or average joes like us. Price your work according to the marketplace you're approaching. Human nature is thus; everyong wants a bargain, but people suspect a product's worth when it's priced too low. So my mindset is going to be I'M WORTH IT. If they don't want my beauties, I'll just go home, put on a pot of coffee, and pout...and quilt some more
Old 10-14-2007, 02:30 PM

Boy....all I have to say is...if you can do a 48 x 48 wall quilt in 44 hours (from start to finish)....then by all means yes...you are definitely good at this! LOL