Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making Money Quilting >

Making Money Quilting

Making Money Quilting

Old 09-28-2007, 07:16 PM

so much of it is in the presentation.

And you may have noticed in the text if you read that - people want to know that you have a smoke-free and pet-free sewing area if you are selling quilts or quilting for pay.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cathe
so much of it is in the presentation.

And you may have noticed in the text if you read that - people want to know that you have a smoke-free and pet-free sewing area if you are selling quilts or quilting for pay.
Cathe,you are exactly right! I know I always check for smoke-free homes before I buy anything but that is because I am allergic to cirgarette smoke and it makes my asthma act up really bad. If you have't noticed from my posts..I am allergic to everything...seriously. LOL.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:06 AM

Someone else mentioned, that they only sold their quilts to support their hobby. And I agree with that person. I only want to support my art form. I'm not out to mass produce or become a designer. I'm very Mom and Pop oriented. But my days of giving away are done. Nothing is cheap any more, even the gas, for searching yard sales and running to sales at JoAnn's isn't cheap any more. And You have to consider all thats involved, and everything involves cost. I don't do this to impress or get kudos, I just really enjoy it and it's going to wind up like Letter Writing, Considerd a lost art. If I never sold another one I would consider them Treasures for my Family and Friends to share after I'm gone. They often see my heart in my work, and alway tell me that.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:57 AM

And that's a good point - unless you are willing to really pour yourself into making this your entire life, you aren't going to make much money at it. I make grocery money and some spending money, and that's what I need, so I am content. I can build up my client base and increase my prices as my reputation grows, but because quilts take a while to make, I'm never going to get rich or even steadily support myself doing it.

You will only make real money at it if you design patterns and fabric, write books and become a "celebrity quilter". In order to do that, you need to get hooked into that group. The best place to start, if that is your goal, is at Quilt Market. That's where you make contacts. That's not what I want for my life. Also, I am not willing to be part of that culture. It's very high-pressure, and it's a lot like those snobby quilt guilds you have been hearing about. I want to be able to minister to ladies who can't afford quilt shop fabric! I like teaching people HOW to make quilts, which is different than guiding them through one particular pattern to make a quilt.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:03 AM

Yes. When I do place a minimum bid on items for charity, I always put a suggested retail price so that people know what the true value is, even if they do win it for less! Irecently placed a price of $450 on a quilted jacket. A bargain since it took me a month to find all the fabrics and pattern and to make it!

jo
Old 09-30-2007, 11:46 AM

I also have a problem with the pricing of quilts here is South Africa.
I have made a calico embroidered single bed quilt and it is hand quilted and I have charged R400 in total as it did take me working full time on it for 2 weeks and also cost me R200 for all the fabric and threads and batting. Have not heard if it was sold yet. Dont think so because people here are not into quilts as much as other countries.
Take care and I will stay positive and hope to sell it soon.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:09 AM

What great info, Cathe. I'm planning on starting my own pattern business. Now all I have to do is find out exactly where I'm going to duplicate the patterns for the least amount of money. Staples isn't any kind of bargain. I also need to find out where to order the zip bags to hold the patterns. Any ideas?
Debbie C.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:16 AM

A custom made queen size quilt should have cost her at very least $300!! :!: Has she checked the price of good quality quilts lately? You did all that work for free. I hope she appreciates you.
Debbie C.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:43 AM

As I remember the QN article, the PA Amish aren't shipping their quilts to Asia to be quilted; there is a population of Hmong living in PA. The Hmong have a tradition of very fine needlework and they are working for some (not all) of the Amish quilters doing beautiful quilting and supporting their families at the same time. If you go to some of the quilt shows, there are a couple of Hmong vendors who sell traditional blocks, purses and jackets. They do incredible reverse applique and the tiniest stitches I have ever seen :!: I have purchased a couple of these blocks to use in a jacket I made. When I spoke with the vendor, I found out that it would take an experienced needleworker a full day to make the 5" (about) block and they charged only about $5 for the block! I also bought a small purse for $10.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:09 AM

Yes, the Hmong do amazing work. I have bought a couple pieces from them, and I always feel like I am STEALING. They need to learn how to market their work.

There are companies that do that - print patterns and supply hanging bags. I can't remember their name, but I get junk mail from one all the time. I will do a google search and see if I can find it.