View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 02:29 PM
suern3

Originally Posted by newbie1001
I've been reading quite a few comments like this, especially now after the holidays. I sew and quilt myself, so I do have an idea about how much time, skill and money goes into projects. On the other hand, doesn't it ever occur to you that other people just have a different taste than you, and no matter how much work went into something, they just don't like the looks of it? I know I've received gifts in my life that I didn't like, handmade and store bought. I think, with quilts especially, the person giving them is very proud of the achievement, and there's probably also a bit of vanity involved. So the disappointment sometimes has more to do with hurt pride, I would say. I just think we can't give something as a present that suits our taste, but not the recipient's, and then not understand that they don't like it.

Do you all hate me now?
I agree with you. We need to understand that people have different taste in things and if we don't know the person well enough or take the time to figure out individual preferences we shouldn't bother making items for gifts. Some people love gift cards. To me they aren't fun to give, but I noticed people seemed to enjoy receiving them this year. That saved my sewing time for someone who I knew would appreciate it.