Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making things for family >

Making things for family

Making things for family

Old 01-10-2011, 06:50 AM

I believe regifting is Biblical. So, that wonderful work of love and inspiration will ultimately be in the ownership of where it was meant to be and appreciated, irregardless.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:49 AM

My daughter brought a package of cut quilt pieces and some uncut lengths and asked me to finish it for her husband. I designed a quilt, checked it out with her and finished the top. She agreed it was wonderful and as pre-arranged, she was to find the quilter, buy the backing and filler. Well, you guessed it...it is still in the package she took it home in. NEVER, NEVER will I do that again. I asked her to take a picture of the finished quilt so I could post it on the board. You may never see it! Am I upset?
Old 01-10-2011, 07:58 AM

Yup, you have to figure out who will appreciate your gift and who won't. I feel like I make the quilts mostly for the enjoyment of creating something and try to find someone who will enjoy using them. If they don't ... oh, well.
Kind of reminds me of years ago when my sister was into making ceramics and very proud of her bowls, vases, etc. Wasn't my kind of thing but I really tried to seem happy to get everything she gave me because she got such joy out of the making and giving. Looking back, I hope she never felt her gifts were under-appreciated. Now I know what it feels like.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Cyn

Originally Posted by abdconsultant
I believe regifting is Biblical. So, that wonderful work of love and inspiration will ultimately be in the ownership of where it was meant to be and appreciated, irregardless.
Wonderful!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:47 AM

it hurts not to have a gift of love appreciated. still, once it's gifted it is theirs to do with as they will.

i just made lovely quilts for my parents. they did not seem to appreciate them. still, i know my mother will put it in a box to be returned to me when she passes on. so i will at least get my hard work back some day.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:55 AM

To start with I only make things that I want to make. If I give one as a gift, I always give something I've purchased along with it (which means NO huge or complicated quilts are gifts)!

When quilts pile up though I invite my friends and family and tell them to pick out anything they'd like (or not). It works for me because no one is disappointed!

My mother just gives things away. I had to get over that a long time ago, again I've made them because I wanted to and at least someone will get to use them.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by trisha
I agree with ALL of you, we are not appreciated, but sometimes we are, nobody likes homemade things, but some people do, etc. etc. It seems like my friends like my stuff a lot more than the family does. One friend has kept her attic window Christmas wallhanging up since 2009, and has never taken it down. I guess she is one person I will definitely make something else for. I think I am going to concentrate on giving for charity and raffles from now on.

I have a great idea...why don't we start a swap and give each other our quilts, and bags, and table runners, etc. At least we know we will all appreciate everything we get!!! LOL
LOVE this idea!
David
Old 01-10-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cyn
Snarky! I love that word. May I use it ;) Love your avatar- beautiful cat!
Haha - I love it too. You certainly may use it - sometimes it just fits so well.

Thanks for the cat compliment. She's a sweetie.