Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making things for family >

Making things for family

Making things for family

Old 01-09-2011, 08:44 PM

All I know is...I have never had someone hand make me something until the other day with my 1st secret swap. I wish I had the words to explain how much this meant to me!!! Personally I could never say a negative thing about a handmade gift.
David
Old 01-09-2011, 08:48 PM

I have the same concerns. I have made quilts for my grandkids and get the strange feeling that my sons and their wives think my gifts are hoaky. (lame or less than what they want) Well, I asked and got a dressing down. My oldest son told me my grandkids love me and use their gifts daily. So I say keep making them and giving them to people you feel will enjoy them. After all....it's the thought that counts.

rag quilt for grandchild
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157044[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-157039.jpe  
Old 01-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cyn
It's ok tho, after 52 years, I know nothing I do is good enough and FINALLY, it doesn't bother me anymore and I don't try. She didn't get the perfect daughter she wanted. She loves me bunches but she has problems and they aren't my fault. Sorry too long. Sore subject at times for me :(

WOW..you sound just like ME on the topic of MY mother....her life did not turn out the way she hoped and she takes it out on me....finally THIS year...( I will be 50 in MAY), I figured it all out and decided to just avoid her if at all possible. Thanksgiving my sister/BIL came up and we did the day at moms...all I did was walk in and started in on me....my sister just about fainted...she could not believe my mom....she said, it was just like being back in the 80's...she had not heard mom go at me like that in all these years, because I have always lived AWAY....it was horrible...but now my sister(the baby by the way) understands why my DH and I do not spend much time my parents...
I don't make her things any more either nothing is ever good enough!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by davidwent
All I know is...I have never had someone hand make me something until the other day with my 1st secret swap. I wish I had the words to explain how much this meant to me!!! Personally I could never say a negative thing about a handmade gift.
David
I hear ya...everyone who knows me knows I am a craftsman/artisan...so I have never had anything MADE for Me...except for some art things I commissioned or bartered my stuff for....but not for ME with ME in mind, etc....
I just joined the swap for FEB....I hope it will be as fun as you all make it sound!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:02 PM

Those who don't craft don't understand what we put into making gifts...in money, worry, and time. To them, that set of placemats that we made for them is something they (THINK) they could have purchased at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $12. In turn, they went out and purchased a gift at the department store that cost them $25...they feel gyped. Nevermind that those placemats cost us $30 to make (with the matching napkins) and nevermind that we worried over patterns for 2 weeks before we could decide, and nevermind that we spent 15 hours cutting and stitching.

If they're a non-crafter, don't bother. Unless they ask for a handmade gift, they're not going to appreciate it.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:11 PM

I agree with ALL of you, we are not appreciated, but sometimes we are, nobody likes homemade things, but some people do, etc. etc. It seems like my friends like my stuff a lot more than the family does. One friend has kept her attic window Christmas wallhanging up since 2009, and has never taken it down. I guess she is one person I will definitely make something else for. I think I am going to concentrate on giving for charity and raffles from now on.

I have a great idea...why don't we start a swap and give each other our quilts, and bags, and table runners, etc. At least we know we will all appreciate everything we get!!! LOL
Old 01-09-2011, 09:34 PM

I have a great idea...why don't we start a swap and give each other our quilts, and bags, and table runners, etc. At least we know we will all appreciate everything we get!!! LOL

I really like that idea!!! I have been making handmade gifts for people off/on for 20 years, but could count the number I have received over the years on one hand! I guess people could be intimidated to give handmade stuff to someone who makes things - I would never put down what someone else made just because I make things myself. I have lost count of the baby quilts I have made and given away over the years, but didn't make (or receive) one for either of my kids(long story). I think a swap among quilters is a great idea!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:04 AM

Yes, this Christmas. I made my sister a pinwheel table runner. Made it in her colors and fabric that would go with her decor. I was extremely careful that all points were perfect, quilted it a way that made the pinwheels look like they were turning, used bird fabric on the back as she loves birds.... Also made her 12 wine coasters to match that were reversable.

Christmas morning my mom said she didn't even hold it up. She called and said, "thanks for the goodies". My friend though I gave her cookies. Her husband passed away over a year ago and I know she is still struggling; however, I don't think she should be rude. We were not raised that way. I know I will never make her anything again. :(
Old 01-10-2011, 06:31 AM
Cyn

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by Cyn
It's ok tho, after 52 years, I know nothing I do is good enough and FINALLY, it doesn't bother me anymore and I don't try. She didn't get the perfect daughter she wanted. She loves me bunches but she has problems and they aren't my fault. Sorry too long. Sore subject at times for me :(

WOW..you sound just like ME on the topic of MY mother....her life did not turn out the way she hoped and she takes it out on me....finally THIS year...( I will be 50 in MAY), I figured it all out and decided to just avoid her if at all possible. Thanksgiving my sister/BIL came up and we did the day at moms...all I did was walk in and started in on me....my sister just about fainted...she could not believe my mom....she said, it was just like being back in the 80's...she had not heard mom go at me like that in all these years, because I have always lived AWAY....it was horrible...but now my sister(the baby by the way) understands why my DH and I do not spend much time my parents...
I don't make her things any more either nothing is ever good enough!
We do sound alike! I have 2 younger brothers and they have finally seen it! My husband does too. It helps that I don't react anymore and find that my brothers and husband jump in and say nice things before my mom can start. The first time it really took her back. And now she is a lot more mellow. She didn't like being the only one and was shocked she couldn't bring others in. My brothers and I are very close so once they realized what was going on, they helped the best they could. No one can talk to my mom about it because she acts like she is hurt and being wronged. Mental health issues run in her family. I feel worse for my sil's. She thinks my brothers can do No wrong and everything is their wife's fault. She doesn't say anything about it except to me. I simply say it takes both parents to teach/raise children. We get together all the time. I live away but they all live in the same town. I will not miss my families get togethers and seeing my neices for one person. My oldest daughter has a mental illness and is supported by my family fabulously.
Aren't families fun!?!
Oh and last May my oldest brother turned 50 and I made him a special quilt (my avatar). It's the first I made for anyone else in my family. We usually give gag gifts so when he opened my present, he was speechless. I thought he maybe didn't like it but that night he called me once we traveled back home and with a tremble in his voice told me how much it meant to him. I know it did and I felt pleased he reacted like that. Too long again-sorry!
I hope your siblings support you too.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:46 AM

I have found a craft I love. That is quilting. My niece is the very first to ask if I would make her a quilt and she would pay. She is just getting on her feet herself, so I said I would make her one, but, not looking for anything. I asked the colors she would like and I am currently making her one. I have made baby quilts for her babies as well as baby quilts for my grandbabies. My DD asked if I would make one for her. I did. I know they are being used and understand the love I put into them.
I asked both of my sisters if they would care for a quilt. I would not mind making them one, but, it will take time. They both love the idea and gave me the color they like. I told them it will be awhile, but, I will make one for you. My one sister in a conversation asked if I started the one for her yet. I told her no, it is on my list of to do's. I am working on the one for my niece and then I will start hers. I know they will be loved. I don't know of anyone that I have made anything for that did not like it.