Thread: Old Singers
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 07:17 AM
hildie

I must admit that I have been lurking around the message board, reading comments and looking at pictures. I have a Singer 201-1 that belonged to my mother. She worked as a seamstress and loved that machine. When she passed away, I decided to keep the machine and cabinet for a while. I could always sell or donate it at a later time, or so I thought. Many years ago, my father was at a rummage sale and came home with a machine and cabinet that had been painted medium blue. The woman selling it had offered to sell it to him for $2. Since he had a wife and daughter who both loved sewing, home the machine came with him. We refinished the cabinet but the machine had been banished to the attic. I also have an old treadle that I learned to sew on and always felt that I could not part with that machine. Afte reading some of your posts, I decided to get out the machines and look up the seriel numbers on the Singer site that had been suggested. Turned out that the treadle was made in 1908, my mother's 201-1 (which is in excellent condition- runs smooth as silk) was made in 1956, and the one banished to the attic? A Singer 201 made in 1945. She will be going to my repairman for a good cleaning, oiling, etc. She has tons of attachments and extras that came with her. These machines will now proudly join my group of newer machines ( Singers and Brothers). I am so glad that I learned so much from this message board and learned enough to NOT get rid of my lovelies. Thanks for savings my machines!!! (My daughters and husband have all been given a lecture on how special these machines are.) Again, thank you!!!! This board has been great!!!!!