Old 11-19-2008, 08:26 PM
retrogirl02

ThomasR,

My wonderful husband purchased a machine as a surprise for me also. I was not quite ready to give up my old Kenmore but it was in for servicing and I was without machine over my birthday a couple years ago. It was a very sweet idea and I probably never would have spent the money on it for myself. That being said, I wish that I had more info about the machine and classes to learn how to use it. Now that some time has passed, I am able to use more of the functions but not all I'm sure.

I imagine the budget was about the same as yours for your wife. Please make sure that you purchase a walking foot if she's interested in machine quilting & not just piecing. I hand quilt and machine piece so I'm ok without one but for smaller projects wish I had one. Also, it should have a quarter inch foot which also didn't come with mine. He was told it was a "quilters machine" but it's a standard machine by "Kenmore" who no longer makes their own machines. I had an old Janome embroidery machine and think my "Kenmore" is actually a Janome also. Several pieces from my old Janome are interchangeable with this one.

I would make quite sure that it is exactly what she wants or let her pick it out. And Kudos to you for being such a great guy trying to make such a thoughtful purchase & encouraging your wife's talents.