Thread: Memories.....
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 11:30 AM
drgranny

Originally Posted by eightylady
Ah, Ditter...here's another Ancient One/Older Than Dirt, etc. I remember the candy cigarettes and after those came the tiny wax bottles that you'd bite the tops off and drink the sweet liquids...red wax lips that you could chew when the clowning around and laughter was over...my grandmother in Georgia, boiling her clothes in the back yard, in a big black iron pot, stirring with a stick then lifting the hot, steaming clothes into the next one. This wasn't much fun, especially hanging the hot clothes on the clothes line even in frigid weather...but I did like the "warming oven" in the wood-burning stove where left-overs were kept until supper-time...if there was any home-made vegetable soup, etc. still
there...strange, but there was never any warnings then about keeping "hot food hot, and cold foods cold" 'cause of bacteria, etc. Life was good and those summers with my Grandmother Carden are still oh, so bright in this 80+ year old mind. Thanks,
Ditter:-)
I remember when I was about 10 we went on vacation and my brother who was 18 and had a job, couldn't go with us. Mom made him a big pot of vegitable soup before we left. A week later when we came home there was still some soup still in the pot on the back of the stove. She ask him if he hadn't put it in the fridge between eatings. He said he didn't know he was supposed to. Mom said it was a wonder he didn't get food poisoning!