View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 02:51 PM
quilterfly

Originally Posted by raptureready
Don't feel bad, I grew up with quilting---mom pieced by hand, dad's mom on the machine. I had an older sister that quilted, then another one started doing it. I said, "That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Why take a perfectly good piece of fabric and cut it into tiny piece just to have to sew it back together again. Of course I remember mom using cereal box templates and scissors to cut each little piece. Then I went to a quilt show at Hancock Fabrics, found out about all the new, "make it easier" gadgets, sign up for a beginners class and the rest is history.
My mother was a fantastic seamstress & with 3 girls she stayed busy making clothing for us. Your quote reminded me of her after all 3 of her girls took to quilting & became addicted, "That's the supidest thing I've ever heard of, cutting a perfectly good piece of fabric into little pieces & then SEWING IT BACK TOGETHER". Once she decided she was going to make a quilt top for each of us & she chose the "Lone Star" pattern, made her cardboard template & used it to mark about a zillion diamond shapes & then cut them out. Well, needless to say as she progressed her template shrank & by the time I received my quilt top it had 9 (yep,9) star points.