Old 01-18-2011, 07:33 AM
Barbara T

For my first full size quilt (78”x94”) I chose Lynne Edwards’ ‘New Sampler Quilt Book’.
I would really recommend this book to any beginner quilter, as a full size quilt can be very daunting. It took me a little over fifteen months, but I never felt overwhelmed at any stage, because everything is explained so clearly. She never assumes you already know how to do things.
There are twenty different blocks, each fully explained with diagrams, gradually teaching you new techniques. There are over twenty full sized photographs of the quilt made by herself and her students, so along with her suggestions for fabrics, you can see how different combinations work, and have the confidence to choose your own.
She explains how to quilt as you go, so making a block up at a time, I took the plunge and (after hearing how so many board members love the experience) decided to hand quilt it. I would never have attempted to hand quilt a full size quilt, but single blocks I enjoyed. Even when they were all joined, and I added the border and then had that to quilt, it wasn’t so bad, as it was always at the edge.
Thanks for looking.

A close up, I found I loved Celtic applique.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162955[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-162949.jpe   attachment-162950.jpe