Thread: Serger?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 08:15 AM
mpspeedy

Sergers have come a long way. My first one nearly drove me crazy. I have since purchased and used a lower end Bernina and in the last couple of years traded up to a more expensive Bernina. The major improvement is in the threading. My first and second machines had to be threaded in just the right order or they would not work. My newest one doesn't have that problem. I use mine now mostly to make Linus Quilts. Over the years I have sewn lots of household items and even clothing for myself and my daughter and grandchildren. If you purchase one don't worry about spending extra money to get one with a chainstitch. You can get the same results with a sewing machine using a double needle. The seam done on the sewing machine will not totally unravel if you pull the wrong thread. If you ever had a hem come out of a T shirt you will know what I mean. If you examine most readymade clothing it for the most part totally constructed with a serger. I don't know if I am lazy or just super efficient but I prefer to not have to take apart any machine I am working with just to do another procedure. That is why I spent the extra money for a built in rolled hem on my serger and now own two stand alone embroidery machines. I have been known to be running both embroidery machines while using my sewing machine and doing certain steps in the project on my serger. I made 14 banner type wallhangings as gifts for members of my family this past Christmas that I used all of my machines to construct from the embroidered motifs to the hanging sleeves.