Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Serger? >

Serger?

Serger?

Old 01-18-2011, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

sergers are one of those machines that are (mostly) used when garment sewing and or working with knits. if all you do is quilting i would save the $$ for something quilting related. I bought a serger 5 or 6 years ago...it sat around in it's case...we used it once for about 1/2 an hour, i finally just sold it, it was of no use to me and i never did learn how to actually use it to it's potential. maybe you could visit a sewing machine shop where they would let you try one out and see what you can do then decide if it's something you would use
Old 01-18-2011, 04:29 AM

Sergers are fantastic if you plan on making clothes, but if all you make are quilts I wouldn't get one. I've read that some people have used them in quilting, but I would think that all the threads would add to the bulk of the seam, in my opinion.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:59 AM

I bought Cheap one "White" on sale for 199.00 a few yrs back. Took me over a yr to take it out of the box...I use it to finish edges on the quilt and sometimes use it for piecing instead of using sewing machine...I only quilt so for the price it was I have gotten my money out of it.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:43 AM

I have a serger because my mother gave me her old one. Would I have ever purchased one? Probably not unless I made mostly clothes. I rarely ever use it. Guess it depends on what kind of sewing you do. My daughter loves hers, but she makes clothes for her little girls.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

It is kind of funny. Most say don't use it for quilting. I made a quilt for someone who picked out her own fabric. I learned that lesson the hard way. Anyway, one of the fabrics, I have no idea what the content was. I ended up having to serge every seam that that I had sewn to keep it from falling apart. Every time you looked at it this fabric it had raveled a little more. On this quilt it was a life saver, but normally I would not have had to to do this. I always have to learn my lessons the hard way.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:15 AM

Sergers have come a long way. My first one nearly drove me crazy. I have since purchased and used a lower end Bernina and in the last couple of years traded up to a more expensive Bernina. The major improvement is in the threading. My first and second machines had to be threaded in just the right order or they would not work. My newest one doesn't have that problem. I use mine now mostly to make Linus Quilts. Over the years I have sewn lots of household items and even clothing for myself and my daughter and grandchildren. If you purchase one don't worry about spending extra money to get one with a chainstitch. You can get the same results with a sewing machine using a double needle. The seam done on the sewing machine will not totally unravel if you pull the wrong thread. If you ever had a hem come out of a T shirt you will know what I mean. If you examine most readymade clothing it for the most part totally constructed with a serger. I don't know if I am lazy or just super efficient but I prefer to not have to take apart any machine I am working with just to do another procedure. That is why I spent the extra money for a built in rolled hem on my serger and now own two stand alone embroidery machines. I have been known to be running both embroidery machines while using my sewing machine and doing certain steps in the project on my serger. I made 14 banner type wallhangings as gifts for members of my family this past Christmas that I used all of my machines to construct from the embroidered motifs to the hanging sleeves.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:44 AM

I got my Brother serger years ago when I was sewing garments. I do use it sometimes for "quilt as go" to make charity quilts. I use it when I sew long strips together and I use it to finish off fleece blankets. The only other time I use it is when I prewash fabric(which I do only when color bleeding is questionable) then I serge around the edges of the fabric. So for the few uses if I didn't already have one, I wouldn't go out and buy one. I'd use the money for more fabric :)
Old 01-18-2011, 10:59 AM

Location: Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground

I love my Serger, I can do just about anything with it , I have a
4 spool, but I can use a 2 spool, I love the Quilts you can make, table runners , potholders, and much more.. I bought my Brother brand 3 years ago, I shopped around looking at many I thought this one was the best I could afford, the Bernina is the best , but quite more money..you can go in any Fabric store that sells them and pic up information on them , Like I said I shopped around, most Fabric stores are trying to sell you what they have , but I just asked questions first.. some stores will let you try them out , I did that also..good luck
Old 01-21-2011, 07:04 PM

I have been researching for weeks, and decided today on purchasing a Janome 204D. It is basic, and all I think I need to learn on. I have Janome 6600P sewing machine and a 350E embroidery and love both of them. They are sooo impressive. I wanted the serger to edge fabric as I prewash all my quilt fabric and am tired of it fraying; esp. flannel. Also with grands I like to make jammies and blankets to drag about. Pillows, couch covers, curtains, edges on large embroidery for patches, exploring quilts,...on and on. Besides, we can't let the men win in the who has the most machines contest! ( :
Old 01-22-2011, 06:01 AM

oohh. You so have a point. Men do seem to win in the tool department. Why should they have all the fun. :lol: