View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 07:32 PM
bucksie

I am new to this site because I needed to pass some questions by you seasoned quilters.....I have gained sooooo much precious knowledge from this message board, that for me as self-taught, has been nothing short of valuable! I began my first quilt long ago, but only got as far as blocks..However, when my first grandson was born last year, I vowed to make him (my little funny bunny) a quilt from gramma..well he's year old now and I just started sewing first block today (even though spent last 6 month's drawing blocks in EQ6).
My rotary cutting went VERY well, and all pieces are cut perfect (so I think)..I took out my 1/4" foot with guide and snapped it on, and placed a long strip of foam insulation (I believe goes around a door? dunno, got it from husbands garage! - comes off easy, but sticks great, and stands about 1/4" high) and proceeded to practice practice practice a 1/4" seam..with in several attempts, I could measure down each seam, and it was EXACT 1/4" (whew!!! was sweating this one)..So i began piecing my first block..all went well with first couple pieces as they measured same 2.5"...when I went to add "to" the block (i am making square in square, or framed square), the pieces were EXACTLY 1/8" longer...NOW, I figured OK....If a scant means 1/16th of inch then this would mean that at least I am sewing precisely..being that the 2 seams would account for the 1/8" overage...But upon researching, I found that the scant applies more to quilters who press seams to one side....I don't, I press mine open...Not to mention, when i measured and cut, I went just a hair beyond the fat marker on my ruler...Now that I think about this, I shouldn't be off at all due to fabric intake..or should I?

The inner block is perfect! no puckers, flat as flat can be...and isn't skewed in any way...I want to keep going with the notion I will trim remaining block pieces by 1/8" (which trimmed next 2 pieces already and they square up right together, edge to edge etc.)...So in my mind, If my blocks don't end up 10", who cares anyways??? But I am bugged by my dilema and need some advice please..

Thank you - Thank you - THANK YOU in advance for considering my problem!!
bucksie