Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SCANT 1/4" SEAMS. >

SCANT 1/4" SEAMS.

SCANT 1/4" SEAMS.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:32 PM

I am new to this site because I needed to pass some questions by you seasoned quilters.....I have gained sooooo much precious knowledge from this message board, that for me as self-taught, has been nothing short of valuable! I began my first quilt long ago, but only got as far as blocks..However, when my first grandson was born last year, I vowed to make him (my little funny bunny) a quilt from gramma..well he's year old now and I just started sewing first block today (even though spent last 6 month's drawing blocks in EQ6).
My rotary cutting went VERY well, and all pieces are cut perfect (so I think)..I took out my 1/4" foot with guide and snapped it on, and placed a long strip of foam insulation (I believe goes around a door? dunno, got it from husbands garage! - comes off easy, but sticks great, and stands about 1/4" high) and proceeded to practice practice practice a 1/4" seam..with in several attempts, I could measure down each seam, and it was EXACT 1/4" (whew!!! was sweating this one)..So i began piecing my first block..all went well with first couple pieces as they measured same 2.5"...when I went to add "to" the block (i am making square in square, or framed square), the pieces were EXACTLY 1/8" longer...NOW, I figured OK....If a scant means 1/16th of inch then this would mean that at least I am sewing precisely..being that the 2 seams would account for the 1/8" overage...But upon researching, I found that the scant applies more to quilters who press seams to one side....I don't, I press mine open...Not to mention, when i measured and cut, I went just a hair beyond the fat marker on my ruler...Now that I think about this, I shouldn't be off at all due to fabric intake..or should I?

The inner block is perfect! no puckers, flat as flat can be...and isn't skewed in any way...I want to keep going with the notion I will trim remaining block pieces by 1/8" (which trimmed next 2 pieces already and they square up right together, edge to edge etc.)...So in my mind, If my blocks don't end up 10", who cares anyways??? But I am bugged by my dilema and need some advice please..

Thank you - Thank you - THANK YOU in advance for considering my problem!!
bucksie
Old 01-19-2011, 07:57 PM

The only perfect person died many years ago.

So relax, good enough is good enough. Do you think your little man will peer at the stitching and drool out that it isn't perfect?
No, he'll love it because Grandma made it for him.

Relax, some peoples, Indians and Amish and Mennonites (I think) deliberately put in one wrong thing so they won't be perfect in anything.

So sew and enjoy it. Show it off and let us see it too. Take pictures of the baby with the finished quilt, and let us see the darling enjoying his "blankie".
Old 01-19-2011, 08:10 PM

It's generally more important to have consistent blocks than blocks of a precise size. If they are all the same, they will sew together in beautiful rows.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:19 PM

sorry i can't help you with your dilema, but i agree with lisa completely. as long as they fit together correctly, they are the proper size! i always cut the triangles for square in a square slightly larger than needed, then trim. better that way than all the frustration.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Power Poster

The only thime I ever worry about exact sizes is when I participate in a swap. The rest of the time it is important that the blocks are the same size and fit together according to the plan.

Just to make sure: You are planning to do an all-over quilt-design when finished and NOT stitch in the ditch? Seams pressed open are not good candidates for SID.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:20 PM

LOL... your too funny! :lol: No, he won't.....I guess it was more for me...Should I just keep going, since everything is an exact 1/8" bigger, so I can just keep trimming? since my first block, i can re-practice and align scant seam?? what would you do if all is going well and block so far looks great?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:22 PM

Ya, someone else told me (a mother at the daycare i help at) that you can give your grandbaby a piece of cloth, and they'll cherish it forever!....so true that is..as I am finding out..like somehow they know its from one gramma vs the other!
thanks
Old 01-19-2011, 09:23 PM

oh btw, here is my lil pride n joy,,,I was playing with gimp to fix red eye but to complicated...Until my daughter can fix it for me..
Old 01-19-2011, 09:28 PM

Yes, I am planning on, in fact already starting to enter my "SCARED OUTA MY MIND" mode regarding free motion quilting....I do have a walking foot with guide and thought maybe following rectangle of quilt and keep going seperate lines until done (but not stitch ditch)..but i think i will try a hand at free motion and drop them feed dogs! After all, free motion quilting is why I told my husband i needed a new machine..
Old 01-19-2011, 09:29 PM

urg....I should've used the "quote reply" button huh?.....sorry ..next time!