Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SCANT 1/4" SEAMS. >

SCANT 1/4" SEAMS.

SCANT 1/4" SEAMS.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by happyscrappy
sorry i can't help you with your dilema, but i agree with lisa completely. as long as they fit together correctly, they are the proper size! i always cut the triangles for square in a square slightly larger than needed, then trim. better that way than all the frustration.
That was my first and safest thought, instead of re-measuring my improvised guides, and render my 1/4" foot with guide useless...I will try and see if i moved my needle over 1 or 2 places to right if it will hit the foot, if not, I may consider starting over as i am only on block one...(1/2 actually)..Plus, things are going so well... so far.
thanks for your time!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:37 PM

Welcome from OKlahoma
Old 01-19-2011, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
The only perfect person died many years ago.

So relax, good enough is good enough. Do you think your little man will peer at the stitching and drool out that it isn't perfect?
No, he'll love it because Grandma made it for him.

Relax, some peoples, Indians and Amish and Mennonites (I think) deliberately put in one wrong thing so they won't be perfect in anything.

So sew and enjoy it. Show it off and let us see it too. Take pictures of the baby with the finished quilt, and let us see the darling enjoying his "blankie".
I replied to you but used the reply button only....you can scroll down to see it....You made me laugh!...how right you are..See, I have adhd and i put way to much pressure on myself to do things right....with one of my biggest issues is when reading about quilting and importance of EXACTNESS is what scared me because in my mind I couldn't understand how with all those hundereds of pieces how anyone could cut, sew and be so exact, and with that then there was NO WAY I of all people would...So my mess. was me being so excited that I actually could do things like cutting precise pieces and sewing exact seam, etc....I know we all make mistakes, I however take the cake on the category, so my doubt in my ability turned into "I CAN DO IT", my excitement purged out, probably in wrong way?

I uploaded a pic of grandson....and will do new one when quilt is done (maybe some along the way)??? I did make him a flannel backed with minky (the super stretchy lined stuff) at the size which could almost fit a single bed..and the lil guy drags it around everywhere!!! its funny!
Thank you ....I much appreciate honesty such as yours....
Old 01-19-2011, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
The only thime I ever worry about exact sizes is when I participate in a swap. The rest of the time it is important that the blocks are the same size and fit together according to the plan.

Just to make sure: You are planning to do an all-over quilt-design when finished and NOT stitch in the ditch? Seams pressed open are not good candidates for SID.
one question though.......How bout when pressing seams open in regards to scant 1/4" seam? It appears that it is more important for those who press to one side??? OR is it pretty equal for pressing both ways???
Old 01-20-2011, 06:32 AM

I bought that 1/4 foot with the guide and hated it, snapped that sucker right off first thing LOL...I ride the edge of my foot off the fabric and get perfect blocks. Scant 1/4" is a smidgen less of the foot...
Old 01-20-2011, 06:48 AM
Banned

you need to check the foot. they are not all correct and you may need to adjust to produce the scant seam.
and you seill need the scant seam whether or not press open or to side becase there is still a fold.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:36 AM

Welcome from Washington too! As far as pressing seams it depends on what you are working on. I press them to the dark side of the fabric unless I have a block that has a lot of seams the I will press open to relieve the bulk. I heard that quilters press to the side and sewers press open.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:49 AM

Technically a scant seam is one to two threads narrower than a true seam, so I don't know that it would be a full 1/16, maybe closer to 1/32.

However, as I work through Quilter's Academy Volume I, I came upon the concept of YUMS, which I'm blanking on the exact words Harriet and Carrie use for this - but essentially it is your own measurements - so as you've pieced together a block and measured, you can adjust the next seam or cut to accommodate the dimensions of the current portion you've sewn - it comes in with a project in which you are using wider strips to create some of the blocks.

All that truely matters in the end is that you are HAPPY with your project. The goal is squareness and evenness - but how you get there and how much you enjoy the process is up to you and you can do it as you wish.

Cheers, K
Old 01-20-2011, 07:54 AM

"Scant" quarter inch really is just a thread or two shy of a true quarter inch, not as much as 1/16'th. As you sew, 1/8'th multiplied by each seam soon adds up to an inch or so added across the whole quilt. In some blocks you can fudge and make them fit together, but you would be doing well to figure out your sc. 1/4" seam line if you eventually want to make quilts with more piecing requirements. One recommended way to do this is to cut 3 pieces of fabric the same size (i.e. 2 1/2" x 6 1/2"), sew them together, using your 1/4" seam, pressing the seams as you wish and then measuring your sample. In this ex. it should measure 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" exactly. Work on this until you can get a true measurement and mark this somehow on your machine so when you need to be exact you have a guide. (In my case, using my Janome with the 1/4" foot with a guide I just have to move the needle one spot to the left to find my correct 1/4")