Thread: The dogs
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 PM
DogHouseMom

>>I've been dying to know what breeders think of DNA tests. Ever had a puppy buyer test them and complain about the results, etc.? Do tell. Breeders talking about buyers can be as much fun as quilters complaining about their LQS.

Pookie. Not sure what you mean. There are a few types of DNA testing, one to prove parentage and we use that in cases of multiple sired litters ("who's your daddy"). The breeder must perform those tests at the time they register the very young puppies so they know which sire to list on the pedigree of each puppy. The other DNA testing is a tool that breeders use to test for genetic health issues such as Progressive Retinal Displaysia (can cause blindness later in life) and a good breeder will test the parents prior to breeding, and if necessary the puppies before they leave home. (DNA tests are performed with a cheek swab so can be done as soon as they stop nursing).

Certainly a puppy buyer could utilize one of the many DNA health tests on their puppy and have a result that would eliminate the puppy from future breeding, but rarely does it make the dog any less of a pet. And there certainly can be complaints especially if the buyer bought the puppy for the express purpose of breeding down the line (in which case most reputable breeders will guarantee that the puppy will be 'show' quality which often includes clearing all the health screenings). Not usually though. At least not in my breed.

I only have one puppy buyer to complain about. I had been working with the wife all along, I knew she wanted a pup to eventually guard her flock of goats so I chose "Charlie" because he had the best temperament for it. When she and her husband came to pick the puppy up her husband said he was too small and wanted one of the other larger males - despite my explaining everything to him. I finally told him "I'm not selling puppies by the pound here - Charlie is the right puppy for your flock". Then I asked the wife, "are you taking Charlie or are you going home without a puppy?". She took Charlie. Well, Charlie grew and grew and grew and he's quite successful at keeping the Coyote's at bay.