Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The dogs

Looking through lots of the older messages and folks various avatar's, I can't help but notice all the dogs! Not just "dogs" either, but "good" dogs.

Let me explain. I breed and show dogs and will someday judge. When I look at dogs I look at them as if judging a quilt. And I'm seeing quite a few that look like they have, or could win the ribbons.

So, with so many "good" dogs out there, I'm guessing I'm not the only one here with a keen interest in breeding/showing/judging.

Sue

Blog Entries
    How does my dog look to you?

Aw, I think they are all ribbon winners.......I just love seeing the dogs,and of course kitties too!
    I cant tell by your avatar what your dog is? Its verybeautiful!

Everyone thinks their dog is the best, that's for sure, that's why they are their dogs! At this very moment, my pointer is laying on her back sound asleep between my legs. And our cocker is snoring over at the other end of the couch. I love my dogs, whether they are show dogs or not.....and of course, I think they could both be show dogs!

And I can hardly wait for the WEstminster Kennel Club next month! One of these days, I'm going to go to that dog show. It's on my "Bucket List".

My dog Molly has been collecting some points towards her championship. Her biggest win yet was Reserve in a class of sixteen in December at the Credit Valley Kennel Club Show and the winner was a much more mature 3 1/2 year old. Molly is only 19 months. It's my daughter who is into the showing. My job is just to love her and let her grow up on the farm.

My dogs are from GC stock, grandparents on both sides, We choose this particular one shown in the avatar because of his coloring. We like the Parti black and one white leg. Most people want the white Poodles so he was passed over, lucky for us. We are not going to show him or his brother, a Parti silver and white, just love them.
    Good luck with your dream.

My dogs parents were Champions as well. I did breed one of them and had 3 litters. She has passed on but we still have her sister and daughter. I though about trying to do a little showing but with kids in the house at the time, and after talking to my breeder, I decided I could not afford to show. It costs a lot of money to get into the circuit and I didn't want to go there. Our pup's were sold as pets.

Mine's just a mutt-but I love him!!

Yeah mine is probably worth something only to me... I love him to pieces. He is only six months in this photo. He sure is a big boy.

Mine are both mutts who rescued me. I found them on Petfinders.com. They are the loves of my life and I like them more that most of the men I have met! :)

Quote Originally Posted by shawnemily
    Mine are both mutts who rescued me. I found them on Petfinders.com. They are the loves of my life and I like them more that most of the men I have met! :)
    And listen to your every word too, huh!

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    Looking through lots of the older messages and folks various avatar's, I can't help but notice all the dogs! Not just "dogs" either, but "good" dogs.

Let me explain. I breed and show dogs and will someday judge. When I look at dogs I look at them as if judging a quilt. And I'm seeing quite a few that look like they have, or could win the ribbons.

So, with so many "good" dogs out there, I'm guessing I'm not the only one here with a keen interest in breeding/showing/judging.

That didn't come out right - is your avatar a Kuvasz?

Kuvasz?

Sue

My Chihuahuas are part GSP and Boxer as well as 6 other breeds. So, yeah, not "good" but very entertaining.

My cat, in the avatar, adores dog shows on TV. If I would let him watch non-stop, he would probably starve to death. Glued to the TV.

I've been dying to know what breeders think of DNA tests. Ever had a puppy buyer test them and complain about the results, etc.? Do tell. Breeders talking about buyers can be as much fun as quilters complaining about their LQS.

My dogs are not pure breds. Both rescues and I wouldnt trade them for the world. Sophie (not shown) is a Rottie/Shep mix and is most certainly Princess of the house. Then there is our Simon..he is beautiful, full of energy and very smart and obeidient. He is border collie/lab mix. They are the greatest. They truly are little people with four legs and fur! (Simon is my avatar pic). We LOVE dogs.

My good girl Riley was the star of her obedience class and that is as good as she gets. Yukon Jack is another story. He doesn't understand he is a dog. He is a little boy in a dog suit and is constantly stirring up trouble. No dog shows in the future for either of my doods but they are Top Dogs to us!

Wait Wait ME too!! 8-)

Since I've already messed up twice, I'll try again...

Is that a Kuvasz in your Avatar, DogHouseMom?

Woodster - yes - a Kuvasz!! And I can't tell from the pic, too far away. But I'm guessing Spinone? Nose looks too light for an Otterhound. Possibly a light colored GWP though?

Shelbie - your Cav was just one of the many that I noticed.

And all - please understand what I meant by "good". Has nothing to do with living with them etc. I've owned lots of dogs, all of them were "good", a few were "good" enough to breed.

Woodster - yes - a Kuvasz!! And I can't tell from the pic, too far away. But I'm guessing Spinone? Nose looks too light for an Otterhound. Possibly a light colored GWP though?
    Yup, he's a Spinone! Used to have a Kuvasz. These two are polar opposites for sure!

>>I've been dying to know what breeders think of DNA tests. Ever had a puppy buyer test them and complain about the results, etc.? Do tell. Breeders talking about buyers can be as much fun as quilters complaining about their LQS.

Pookie. Not sure what you mean. There are a few types of DNA testing, one to prove parentage and we use that in cases of multiple sired litters ("who's your daddy"). The breeder must perform those tests at the time they register the very young puppies so they know which sire to list on the pedigree of each puppy. The other DNA testing is a tool that breeders use to test for genetic health issues such as Progressive Retinal Displaysia (can cause blindness later in life) and a good breeder will test the parents prior to breeding, and if necessary the puppies before they leave home. (DNA tests are performed with a cheek swab so can be done as soon as they stop nursing).

Certainly a puppy buyer could utilize one of the many DNA health tests on their puppy and have a result that would eliminate the puppy from future breeding, but rarely does it make the dog any less of a pet. And there certainly can be complaints especially if the buyer bought the puppy for the express purpose of breeding down the line (in which case most reputable breeders will guarantee that the puppy will be 'show' quality which often includes clearing all the health screenings). Not usually though. At least not in my breed.

I only have one puppy buyer to complain about. I had been working with the wife all along, I knew she wanted a pup to eventually guard her flock of goats so I chose "Charlie" because he had the best temperament for it. When she and her husband came to pick the puppy up her husband said he was too small and wanted one of the other larger males - despite my explaining everything to him. I finally told him "I'm not selling puppies by the pound here - Charlie is the right puppy for your flock". Then I asked the wife, "are you taking Charlie or are you going home without a puppy?". She took Charlie. Well, Charlie grew and grew and grew and he's quite successful at keeping the Coyote's at bay.

Woodster - you had a Kuvasz! Do tell!

Woodster - you had a Kuvasz! Do tell!
    We got Zeke when we were living in NC from a breeder in SC. We were moving to a ranch in CO amidst the bear, mountain lions, bobcats - you name it, so we wanted a dog that wouldn't
    back down from any of the above, and also would protect our 5 horses and 3 little girls (last but far from least!). Well, after considering that the girls' school was 45 minutes drive one way (down gravel roads for half of it), we decided to move to Colorado Springs and wound up in a townhouse - with Zeke.

We still lived among all the above wildlife (and could hear the lions roaring nightly from the Zoo not far from us - eeks!). There was one time after we had moved into a house, that a bear was walking along a fallen tree just outside of Zeke's back yard - he did stand his ground with the 300lbr. The bear stood and looked at him as Zeke held his stance and barked (not in a friendly way). The bear weighed his options and decided he'd turn around and head for the woods. That was a heart thumper!

After we had to have Zeke euthanized due to advanced stomach cancer, we swore we'd never have another dog - EVER! 6 weeks later, Woody was running around our house! -
    Best non-dog we'd never get! Gentle as a lamb, scared of his own shadow! Just a hoot!

Caffiene induced fingers this a.m.

Mine's a Bassador---half lab, half basset but we love her. She looks like a small lab with basset legs. She was a rescue dog and very timid at first, then aggressively protective. She's finally mellowed out. Protective but not aggressive. Sissy's a good dog and wins my blue ribbon.

"MY" dogs are all gone, but I do have 2 of my "granddogs"
    living with us.
    Lexie, the ROTTENweiler is in my avatar, helping me sandwich a quilt and belongs to my middle son (and me). "Angel" who is really becoming one, is a Catahoula that belongs to my oldest son (and me).
    Love them like they were my own even when they upset me.

Happy Quilting.
    Susan

Angel Had a hard day of chasing squirrels
    Name:  Attachment-164146.jpe
Views: 40
Size:  43.9 KB

Lexi smiling pretty
    Name:  Attachment-164147.jpe
Views: 44
Size:  34.6 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast