The dogs

Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 PM

>>I've been dying to know what breeders think of DNA tests. Ever had a puppy buyer test them and complain about the results, etc.? Do tell. Breeders talking about buyers can be as much fun as quilters complaining about their LQS.

Pookie. Not sure what you mean. There are a few types of DNA testing, one to prove parentage and we use that in cases of multiple sired litters ("who's your daddy"). The breeder must perform those tests at the time they register the very young puppies so they know which sire to list on the pedigree of each puppy. The other DNA testing is a tool that breeders use to test for genetic health issues such as Progressive Retinal Displaysia (can cause blindness later in life) and a good breeder will test the parents prior to breeding, and if necessary the puppies before they leave home. (DNA tests are performed with a cheek swab so can be done as soon as they stop nursing).

Certainly a puppy buyer could utilize one of the many DNA health tests on their puppy and have a result that would eliminate the puppy from future breeding, but rarely does it make the dog any less of a pet. And there certainly can be complaints especially if the buyer bought the puppy for the express purpose of breeding down the line (in which case most reputable breeders will guarantee that the puppy will be 'show' quality which often includes clearing all the health screenings). Not usually though. At least not in my breed.

I only have one puppy buyer to complain about. I had been working with the wife all along, I knew she wanted a pup to eventually guard her flock of goats so I chose "Charlie" because he had the best temperament for it. When she and her husband came to pick the puppy up her husband said he was too small and wanted one of the other larger males - despite my explaining everything to him. I finally told him "I'm not selling puppies by the pound here - Charlie is the right puppy for your flock". Then I asked the wife, "are you taking Charlie or are you going home without a puppy?". She took Charlie. Well, Charlie grew and grew and grew and he's quite successful at keeping the Coyote's at bay.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:26 PM

Woodster - you had a Kuvasz! Do tell!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
We got Zeke when we were living in NC from a breeder in SC. We were moving to a ranch in CO amidst the bear, mountain lions, bobcats - you name it, so we wanted a dog that wouldn't
back down from any of the above, and also would protect our 5 horses and 3 little girls (last but far from least!). Well, after considering that the girls' school was 45 minutes drive one way (down gravel roads for half of it), we decided to move to Colorado Springs and wound up in a townhouse - with Zeke.

We still lived among all the above wildlife (and could hear the lions roaring nightly from the Zoo not far from us - eeks!). There was one time after we had moved into a house, that a bear was walking along a fallen tree just outside of Zeke's back yard - he did stand his ground with the 300lbr. The bear stood and looked at him as Zeke held his stance and barked (not in a friendly way). The bear weighed his options and decided he'd turn around and head for the woods. That was a heart thumper!

After we had to have Zeke euthanized due to advanced stomach cancer, we swore we'd never have another dog - EVER! 6 weeks later, Woody was running around our house! -
Best non-dog we'd never get! Gentle as a lamb, scared of his own shadow! Just a hoot!

Caffiene induced fingers this a.m.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:06 AM

Mine's a Bassador---half lab, half basset but we love her. She looks like a small lab with basset legs. She was a rescue dog and very timid at first, then aggressively protective. She's finally mellowed out. Protective but not aggressive. Sissy's a good dog and wins my blue ribbon.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:15 AM

"MY" dogs are all gone, but I do have 2 of my "granddogs"
living with us.
Lexie, the ROTTENweiler is in my avatar, helping me sandwich a quilt and belongs to my middle son (and me). "Angel" who is really becoming one, is a Catahoula that belongs to my oldest son (and me).
Love them like they were my own even when they upset me.

Happy Quilting.
Susan

Angel Had a hard day of chasing squirrels
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164151[/ATTACH]

Lexi smiling pretty
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164152[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-164146.jpe   attachment-164147.jpe  
Old 01-20-2011, 07:20 AM

My pure bred Chihuahua, T'Fille, is my best friend. Most of the time when I am home she is stuck to me like velcro. I trained her to sit pretty and say yum yum for a treat, among other things.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:04 PM

You've been blessed to only have one buyer story! I've heard some great ones (especially the return and refund stories). It's amazing how even the most careful home checking breeders can come into contact with some, uh, colorful folks.

I was talking about breed composition DNA testing. Quite popular around here.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:28 PM

Pookie - DNA composition is used to determine (allegedly) the breed of the dog. Because we are breeders of purbred dogs - that type of test is a moot point.

I had several doozy potential buyers that never made it past the potential stage. One guy gave me a list of what the dog could and could not do. I told one guy to buy a pet rock instead.

An inquiry from a British rock star who wanted to travel back and forth to England. I talked him out of a pet completely because of the 6 mo quarantine in the UK.

Another woman recently wanted an assistance dog that would pick things up then jump up on her to hand the item to her. I asked her her age, height and weight, 73 years old, 5' nuthin and 90 lbs. Even a small female Kuvasz is still about 75-80 lbs.

Sue
Old 01-20-2011, 12:44 PM

I successfully showed and bred Long Coat Chihuahuas for 15 years. Now I have Mop (my avatar)a Lhasa Apso cross and Remy, a pedigree Manchester Terrier who I do obedience work with. Anyone familiar with Manchesters will know what an extreme "terrier" they can be.

From one extreme to another!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
so did I!! I'm a labby mom now but love love love Kuvaszok beyond all others. They are just not real happy living in the middle of the big city and I had to respect that. but, did I say, I LOVE LOVE LOVE them??