The dogs

Old 01-20-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by nycquilter
Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Woodster - you had a Kuvasz! Do tell!
so did I!! I'm a labby mom now but love love love Kuvaszok beyond all others. They are just not real happy living in the middle of the big city and I had to respect that. but, did I say, I LOVE LOVE LOVE them??
He sure was a great family dog - not so great with people he didn't know - extremely cautious and kept an eye on everyone.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:17 PM

We have retired from breeding/showing Boxers, after ten years. We've been fortunate to have had spectacular dogs.

"Striker" our first show dog, was the 1998 American Boxer Club National Specialty Winners Dog and as well the Futurity First Place winner. By 2000 he was one of the Top 20 boxers in the US with only a few months as a special. He produced top-winning boxers in the US, Canada and overseas.

He was the most wonderful companion we could have ever hoped for and lived a happy life with us until he was over 12 years old.

My sweet girl, Aimee, was a double Regional Show winner and is a Ch. in the US and Canada. She is nearly 12 now and still a happy girl.

We kept two from a Striker/Aimee litter from 2001, and one of those girls went on to win five consecutive shows including four majors.

So, for a time we had FIVE gorgeous Boxers running the house! Now we are down to three, and a Boston Terrier rescue who is a hoot!

It was incredible and wonderful, however we're glad to be at the all dogs retired phase! (: Breeding and raising litters is a much tougher job than most people realize and showing and finishing even great dogs, is an expensive hobby.

Show and puppy pictures are located on the dog's website, here:
iconboxers.com
Attached Thumbnails attachment-164473.jpe  
Old 01-20-2011, 02:39 PM

My Henry comes from a long line of champions. We don't show him but we have been told that he would have earned his championship points very esily.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:32 PM

DogHouseMom, thanks for noticing my Cavalier. My daughter is suggesting that we get a Kuvasz for our farm as we lost our King Shepherd just before Christmas. I have heard that they are not friendly and I am nervous of dogs as I was bitten very badly a few years ago. Our shepherd always scared me a little although he was devoted to me. How would a Kuvasz handle cattle and a two hundred acre farm? I'd like him to be outside guarding during the day and sleeping in the barn or shop at night.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:50 PM

My Tony, Bichon Frise, has AKC papers. Didnt' matter to me, he's my baby boy!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:13 PM

mine are mixed breeds all 4 of them-they are winners to me
Old 01-20-2011, 07:17 PM
kbs

My dog is all pit bull but no papers. He doesn't care and I don't either, he's my best buddy. He sleeps on a pillow if he can get it and loves my heating pad.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:20 PM

As a kid I loved dogs but then life took over, marriage, kids, job and I forgot. A friend talked me into taking in a dog that had been shoved out of a truck in the city. That poor dog put up with me taking awhile in getting on the same wave length with her but eventually she whipped me into shape. Now I couldn't live without a dog and we're on our 4th one. They sort of complete you, don't they?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:36 PM

we rescued our pupper from the pound. She is part Dachshund and part Border collie she is so smart. Today when we drove into my son's driveway (we hadn't been here in over a year) she started crying wanting out to go onto the porch to see her friend the Black Lab at son's. She love's that dog!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
DogHouseMom, thanks for noticing my Cavalier. My daughter is suggesting that we get a Kuvasz for our farm as we lost our King Shepherd just before Christmas. I have heard that they are not friendly and I am nervous of dogs as I was bitten very badly a few years ago. Our shepherd always scared me a little although he was devoted to me. How would a Kuvasz handle cattle and a two hundred acre farm? I'd like him to be outside guarding during the day and sleeping in the barn or shop at night.
My last and second Kuvasz was a wonderful girl who really needed to be a working girl. For her sanity and well-being, we re-homed her and she ended up working on a farm in IL. Her new "mom" allowed me to be remembered, sending me pics and news every year or so. Kenzie was fabulous at this. She adapted to being an outdoor dog and a working girl so readily. In the city, with me, I just was not dominant enough and she knew it. I made mistakes, so that didn't help, even though I knew more or less what I was doing--with a Kuvasz, it is bred to think independently and override stupid (in its view) commands. She became scary to me, my daughter, and a trainer I'd asked for help. She needed re-homing and I did it though it tore my heart. I think she'd have become not vicious, but really bossy, like only a Kuvasz can, had I put my wants first and kept her. She was drop-dead gorgeous and huge, to boot.

Laurie